Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The US IWI Tavor

Quote Originally Posted by JamieGunReviews View Post
    Nice! But BULLPUPS SUCK! lol jk
    That's the rumor.

Bullpups look sweet but not practical!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    That's the rumor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911GunSlinger View Post
    Bullpups look sweet but not practical!!!
    Whats the beef with bullpup's? I guess if you dont like light weight, accurate, and compact rifles. I myself like those features in a tactical carbine

Bull pup: is trying to be a short rifle or long pistol. Problems on the Tavor for example: 1. sight radus is short and will be less effective. 2. Muzzle flash and report are closer to your face. 3. High cap mags near your shoulder hinder low profile prone position firing. 4. Hands positioned close together reduce stability of shooting stance. 5. If your left handed you need to buy a new bolt system so you can shoot it. 6. If it comes to a worse case scenario and your position is over-run (obviously because your out of ammo) and it comes to bayonet lunges and butt strokes you would also come up "short" so to speak.

If you like it, get one and enjoy. It's just not for me.
    Last edited by wildrider666; 10-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.

James Yeager? Is that you?

I keed I keed!

I'll have to wait for the Cali-Neutered version. By that time, hell might freeze over and I'll have the money saved

The Tavor is a superb rifle. After owning one I am convinced its superior to the AR-15. Weapons technology has advanced a great deal since the 60's, and it shows with the tavor. It's more controllable, faster to transition from targets, you can shoot it with one hand, its more reliable, more compact, you can shoot it from prone,I could go one for quite a while on how it's a better design than the AR-15.
    This is no different than when everybody was hating on glocks when they came out. And now look where we're at. The only reason to own a 1911 now is purely because you like the way it looks. You can't argue that the 1911 is a better fighting pistol than a glock. Same goes for the tavor. There is a good reason the IDF has left the M4 behind and is now using the tavor. This is country that has either been fighting a war, or preparing for one since 1948.
    Here the Tavor is extremely popular, and all I can say is, anybody I know who owns one has since sold their AR-15.
    Last edited by Braun; 06-23-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braun View Post
    The Tavor is a superb rifle. After owning one I am convinced its superior to the AR-15. Weapons technology has advanced a great deal since the 60's, and it shows with the tavor. It's more controllable, faster to transition from targets, you can shoot it with one hand, its more reliable, more compact, you can shoot it from prone,I could go one for quite a while on how it's a better design than the AR-15.
    This is no different than when everybody was hating on glocks when they came out. And now look where we're at. The only reason to own a 1911 now is purely because you like the way it looks. You can't argue that the 1911 is a better fighting pistol than a glock. Same goes for the tavor. There is a good reason the IDF has left the M4 behind and is now using the tavor. This is country that has either been fighting a war, or preparing for one since 1948.
    Here the Tavor is extremely popular, and all I can say is, anybody I know who owns one has since sold their AR-15.
    And yet with the removal of two pins and a new upper, I can change my AR from 5.56 to 6.5Grendel for the 1000 yard shots, 6.8SPC for medium range work, .300Blackout for suppressed fire, or the .50Beowulf for shooting through barriers. I essentially get 5 rifles in one platform. That doesn't even take into consideration the other calibers available such as .22, or .458SOCOM.

Can you do that with the the Tavor?
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    And yet with the removal of two pins and a new upper, I can change my AR from 5.56 to 6.5Grendel for the 1000 yard shots, 6.8SPC for medium range work, .300Blackout for suppressed fire, or the .50Beowulf for shooting through barriers. I essentially get 5 rifles in one platform. That doesn't even take into consideration the other calibers available such as .22, or .458SOCOM.

Can you do that with the the Tavor?
    Yes, and no, I wont have that many options. The rifle is a new desighn, but they will be releasing conversion kits for 9mm, and 5.45x39. Who knows what other calibers they'll make conversions for in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Braun View Post
    Yes, and no, I wont have that many options. The rifle is a new desighn, but they will be releasing conversion kits for 9mm, and 5.45x39. Who knows what other calibers they'll make conversions for in the future.
    My point was that while the Tavor may be a good rifle, it is not the end all, be all rifle. It does have it's advantages (urban/CQB combat comes to mind), but it also has it's drawbacks and limitations. Mag changes require the user to learn new muscle memory to do it rapidly and efficiently. Lack of caliber choices and ease of change for the existing ones. And we haven't even discussed the inherent limitation and feel of the long trigger linkage assembly found in a bullpup design. You also lose the ability for under-barrel accessories such as a the 37mm grenade launcher (for civilians), or the 40mm for the military types. Also, some of us are old fashioned enough to still want the ability to add/use a bayonet on our rifle.

The Tavor gives up a lot in terms of versatility when compared to the AR platform.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori