Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Up Ammo

Back Up Ammo

In a recent video, the Yankee Marshal mentions he carries both traditional self defense hallow points and full metal jackets. His reasoning on the full metal jackets he says is if he has to penetrate barriers. Do you agree with this or do you only believe in carrying hallow points?

I don't think it gets any better than todays hollow points, the HST's, Gold Dot's, Winchesters T-Series and PDX line are some of the best ammunition available. I think YM carried Hornaday, not that there's anything wrong with those but it's not what I'd carry. Point being, everyone has their opinion on the "best carry ammo" and to carry FMJ's is Yankee's opinion. I think a hollow point will also penetrate a car door nicely :-) Check out tnoutdoors9 on You Tube for some good ammo reviews
    Last edited by MP Gunther; 10-13-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Right now I only carry FMJ. They are much less expensive and I have 1000 rounds in my safe. and MP, bro did you see YM also carries Hornady Zombie Max bullets? For those that don't know they are the same as the Hornady standard hollow point only the small plug in the hollow point is green instead of orange, and they are cheaper for the same exact round...
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

I saw that video two. I believe his main message was that you need to look at your own individual environment and circumstances.
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf Is a good source of information. It's not the original article I would suggest you reference Fackler's articles for a more detailed analysis.

In short Fackler believes that 12" is a major minimum of penetration and that 18" is the golden number you want. He repeated this 3 or more times in his article and also explained that the tissue on a human's back is extraordinarily strong and flexible. He quantified that a bullet would have to pass 4" or more of gel to pass through the back on top of the 12"-18" range. So in reality it's 12"-22"
    Remember there are zero instances of people being injured or substantially wounded by a handgun bullet passing through a person and then into another person. But, there are lots of examples of people "cough, law enforcement" missing the perpetrator and hitting a bystander. That's not over penetration.

Based on Fackler's research the 10mm Auto was one of the few auto loading rounds capable of achieving all his guidelines; but not everyone could or was willing to learn how to handle it.
    20% ordnance gel is the standard. 10% is used because it exaggerates the performance of handgun bullets and allows minute differences to appear between the common 3 calibers. The military established that concentration nearly 100 years ago.

My final point, it is reported that 2/3 of HP's fail to expand when they are pulled out of bodys thus behaving like an fmj. So if there are no examples of dangerous over penetration and 2/3's of HP"s don't expand, well perhaps it's quite an over hyped myth.

So choosing an fmj is absolutely acceptable because the claims against it have no factual backing.
    Last edited by SpringOWeiler; 10-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.

"So choosing an fmj is absolutely acceptable because the claims against it have no factual backing"

Thank you, Very interesting report, where it may be acceptable to use FMJ's, I'll stick with my HST's :-)
    Last edited by MP Gunther; 10-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Gunther: I completely respect your choice. I'm just trying to provide the factual and statistical information.

Really, I thought the information you provided was GREAT !! People can carry what they want to carry and everyone has an opinion what is the best. I'm sure for every article stating fmj's are the best there is also a paper saying A - B - C is better. I'm still looking for the "super" bullet with the atomic charge that goes around corners :-)
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Quote Originally Posted by MP Gunther View Post
    Really, I thought the information you provided was GREAT !! People can carry what they want to carry and everyone has an opinion what is the best. I'm sure for every article stating fmj's are the best there is also a paper saying A - B - C is better. I'm still looking for the "super" bullet with the atomic charge that goes around corners :-)
    Yeah bro, and it always hits the bad guy and no innocent bystanders....
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Well Gunther I'll try an invent a mini tomahawk missile for you!

Banned
    In my G17 I carry 9mm 115gr CorBon JHP +p loads and a spare mag loaded with 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ rounds.