Thread: Does anyone know anything about hunting rifles?!

Does anyone know anything about hunting rifles?!

Recently purchased my first handgun and now am interested in buying a hunting rifle. It is without saying that I don't have any idea what I'm talking about so I decided to go online and do some research as far as calibers and rifles...... lets just say I need some guidance and friendly advice. I want a rifle/caliber that is versatile, and it wouldn't hurt if it didn't break the bank! I would be using it to hunt for boar, deer, coyote, etc...no game larger than that. Ive done some research, but would appreciate opinions and help!

Also if anyone has some thoughts on a great rifle/scope combo PLEASE let me know.... THANK YOU!!

Bro, I've heard alot of good things about a Savage rifle in .308. I'm not sure of the model but if you go to GOTX.com It is another forum and search for Savage sniper or long distance rifle and you will find out all about it. It's compared to the Remington only THOUSANDS less in cost. Wish I could be more help but Im learning this stuff myself right now. Peace, Gunn'r
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

In my opinion the 30-06 it the best all around medium to large game hunting caliber. There are many great brands. For theMoney the Ruger American Rifle is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Iwap_Evile View Post
    In my opinion the 30-06 it the best all around medium to large game hunting caliber. There are many great brands. For theMoney the Ruger American Rifle is awesome
    I really like 30-06 a lot but man it costs a bunch. .308 is more affordable and still a good round but yes 30-06 is a much harder hitter and gives you a bit more distance. That Ruger rifle is a nice one too. I just saw it on a TV show the other day as a featured rifle...
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Quote Originally Posted by Iwap_Evile View Post
    Exactly what I'm looking for.. Thanks for the help!!

I would just like to add in rebuttal to Gunr that cost effective ammo options do exist for the .30-06. Tulla/Wolla/Bear offer .30-06 steel cased ammunition at the same cost as .308. The Korean and US M2 surplus market havent dried up either. And last I checked Federal blue box 06 was $14.99 a box.
    And if you decide to start reloading 06; Its fair to say most of your reloader friends will probably give you brass and maybe loaded rounds to test. Of my 5 reloading friends, all of us have 06 dies and loaded ammo, but only 2 of us have rifles chambered in it.