Thread: Reloading 10mm

Reloading 10mm

My next gun will probably be a 10mm Glock 20. We several boards I talk on say when you make the leap from 9mm and 40 cal to 10mm, it is time to probably start reloading due to the cost of 10mm and the amount you can save per round on 10mm and the fact the so much off the shelf 10mm is underpowered or if not underpowered, quite expensive. Do you agree?

Too put it simply. The Hornady 200gr XTP 10mm is sold in a box of 20 for usually $25. Which translates into $1 a round and is loaded 150-200fps slower than the sammi safe maximum, most big name defense ammo's are sold in this fashion like Rem/Win/Hrdy/Fed/etc. Winchesters 175gr HP is actually loaded to full 10mm velocities; not max but closest to it. You're plinkers can go from 56cents-76cents a round. Remington 180fmj @1050fps, and Federal 180fmj at 1025fps.

The benefits of my Reloads
    Hdy 200gr XTP@1200fps, 23cents per bullet, 4cents primer, brass (many times reloaded), powder 3cents. Total= 30 cents Factory Markup 300%
    Plinker Load 180Plated@1150fps, 11 cents bullet, 4 primer, brass (still reloading it, buy Starline, period), powder 3.5 cents. Total= 18.5 cents per round. Avg Factory Markup Rem300%-Fed410%

Granted companies like Underwood, Georgia arms, and others have stepped in and brought full power ammo back into circulation at a more reasonable price. But still it's $.75-$1.00 a round for their full power loads.
    Think of it this way. For every round of factory ammunition you buy; you could have reloaded 4 or more of them for the same cost.

I bought my G20 5 years ago as of last month, and have been reloading for about 5 and a half years. Started for 8mm Mauser. I still use a single stage but have access to a dillion 550 progressive press if need be. Reloading is the way to go for the 10mm since it is such a versatile cartridge. If you decide to get the g29 or carry the g20 (easy in the winter, challenging in the summer) you can download it to 40s&w +p levels and have a very mild shooting proven round.
    Last edited by SpringOWeiler; 07-30-2014 at 12:03 AM.

With the powder supply still limited all I have is Hodgdon HP-38. this is great for 9mm/38spl/45acp but it's like putting 89 octane in a muscle car for the 10mm (MAX LOAD). On the bright side it should give me longer brass life. I've got some new Starline brass waiting on Blue Dot powder to come in.
    Last edited by Subfixer; 08-01-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Bluedot is completely fine and will give you that full performance, but if you look at it compared to longshot, you use more powder to generate higher pressures and lower velocities. The fireball it generates is very exciting so I always have a can of it on hand and some 135 noslers going 1550 in my stock barrel and 1780 in my 6" stormlake barrel.

I see no sense in NOT reloading everything.
    The only problem with reloading 10mm is finding all your cases--but, saving your cases is where you save money with all cartridges.
    571/HS7 was a very accurate powder, but discontinued. HS6, WSF, and AA5 are also very accurate. They may not give you the last 100fps, but accuracy is also important. All are capable of sub-1" groups at 25 yards.
    With the powder situation, don't lock yourself into one powder.