Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ffl from home

Ffl from home

How easy or difficult is it to get a ffl for a home business. And what is a good source of information on the topic.

I had one in the 80's. If you want a standard FFL you need a store front with parking and the address must be approved by the BATF. You can get a collectors type FFL and buy and sell collectible and new guns without the need for a business location with parking available. My FFL cost like 15.00 for 3 yrs and I could have sold class III for another 500.00 for the tax stamp. I'm sure it's more now but you just call the BATF and apply and send in whatever the fee is now. They check your history and if you come back clean they send you the license in like 4 weeks. I still have my expired FFL in a frame as a keepsake.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Thanks gunnr, looking for away to make some extra money not to mention being able To buy wholesale for me and maybe to sell on gunbroker.
    Me dream would be to own A nice gun shop with great indoor firing range....I know its just a dream. But maybe someday.

I wish you well as that was my dream too. It never came to be for me but that was my fault. I also lived in Ohio at the time and it was not a gun friendly state back then. Buying at cost with an FFL will fill your safe up quick...LOL I went through some boxes the other day and still have my factory catalogs, price lists and federal paperwork stored away...
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

What's the difference between wholesale prices and retail. What kind of mark up is there?

It depends on the manufacturer and model mostly. Back then the mark up was almost as good as furniture. When the first model Barrett 50BMG rifle came out if I remember retail was around 6000.00 and my cost was a little under 3000.00 Tec-9 was big then and dealer cost was like 129.00 and retail was like 375.00 The one real problem with guns is that some companies want you to invest 25,000.00 to 50,000.00 in stock and be an authorized dealer for them. I was not stocking any inventory then just selling guns and ordering them as needed. That was tough with some gun companies back then anyway... But I was seeing at least a 60% mark up and cutting MSRP by 40%. that way everyone was happy...
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

Wow that's a pretty good profit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnr View Post
    It depends on the manufacturer and model mostly. Back then the mark up was almost as good as furniture. When the first model Barrett 50BMG rifle came out if I remember retail was around 6000.00 and my cost was a little under 3000.00 Tec-9 was big then and dealer cost was like 129.00 and retail was like 375.00 The one real problem with guns is that some companies want you to invest 25,000.00 to 50,000.00 in stock and be an authorized dealer for them. I was not stocking any inventory then just selling guns and ordering them as needed. That was tough with some gun companies back then anyway... But I was seeing at least a 60% mark up and cutting MSRP by 40%. that way everyone was happy...
    Wow youre a crook.

From what I have seen at local retailer thier mark up is around 100%, even more on hard to get stuff. So 60% is not being a crook, its good business.

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldstone View Post
    Wow youre a crook.
    If I was able to sell product and save my customers 40 -50% over my competitors and you call me a crook? You must be a liberal Democrat.... Yes?
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director