Thread: Grave Yard Thief In Key West

Grave Yard Thief In Key West

Hey guys,
    I'm worried about this guy who has had 40 successful burglaries around the graveyard area a few blocks away. He scopes out the neighborhood and usually he will run in grab a purse or cellphone, anything that may be of value and run out while your standing there. He has also been sneaking in on people while asleep, taking money from there bedside and sneaking out. I'm more worried for when someone I know shoots him or anyone because he isn't technically dangerous and trying to explain that to people is ridiculous. Everyone I've talked to about this guy is basically going to shoot him dead if he runs in on them... When I tell them you will end up in prison or getting sued if he survives because he has got to be threatening your life before you pull the trigger. They throw plans at me to make it look like this or that. I Don't know I just need to get this off my chest. I don't want to see an innocent person go to jail cause they shot an unarmed robber. He deserves punishment and a good ass kicking that's for sure.

If someone is breaking in to a home you don't know what his intentions are or if you will be safe. An intruder in your house can be stopped with a gun. There is no need to "wait and see" what might happen. You tell him to freeze the police are on their way. If he runs away, let him. If he continues to enter after a warning he knows the consequenses. It's good to remember the 21 foot rule. (you can be hit, choked, stabbed or stomped )by a bad guy before you can draw and shoot your weapon if he is 21 feet or less from you when confronted. You never know when burgleries stop and assults start with criminals. Always be sure before you shoot but never hesitate when attack is imminent. Please stay safe and stay alive....
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

If I woke up to someone in my house I would have my gun on them, but as long as they turn around and leave, I wouldn't shoot. Now for those guys who would just shoot an intruder regardless, well, I'm not going to disagree with that approach. Why should they be obligated to find out what the intruder's intentions are? I think they are perfectly in the right to just assume the intruder is going to do the worst possible thing. It's a personal choice in my opinion. Then there is the law. Here in Indiana, all you have to do is establish that you are in fear of either bodily harm or death to use your gun. That level of fear isn't defined in the law, so it can vary from person to person. Some may be in fear simply by having an intruder in their house, others may take more to be at that level of fear, like the intruder actually coming towards them. Maybe the best thing for this guy is to get shot, may straighten him out. Odds are he will survive. Most intruders that are shot are able to still run away after taking the lead.

Thanks guys I needed some opinions on this. I hope they catch this guy soon before it comes to that. You just never know which way it could play in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Sintonics View Post
    You just never know which way it could play in court.
    I do agree, but you also never know which way it could play out in your home. No way to know what the intruder has on their mind. Their intentions may be to simply grab a few things and leave, but when confronted by the home owner, they could panic and and decide no witnesses are the best thing, or just as bad, they could be a violent wacko.

I certainly wouldn't shoot an intruder for just being in my home, but I understand why some people do, you just never know. It all boils down to how much risk you're willing to take. Your life is on one side of the token, a potential legal battle on the other.

I hope they catch the guy too.

Re: Grave Yard Thief In Key West

fast forward .. what's the status on this guy.. ? Do you know if he was caught. I have a couple of brothers that live in the Keys. Where exactly is the graveyard area??

Skatter
    USMVMC FL-2

I believe he is still at large but have heard that he is not working alone. May be a girl and another guy in on it as well. I have not heard anything else. I'll ask around at work tonight.

I have 3 kids in the house so personally if someone breaks into my house it will probably be the last thing they do. Like all sane people I hope it never happens.