Thread: Trigger Jobs

Trigger Jobs

Trigger jobs. I think Tom is a good guy, I love his videos and agree with his views on the 2nd amendment. His recent videos on trigger jobs and every day carry guns however I didn’t agree with. It’s my opinion that this enhances the accuracy of a gun and shows the concern for innocent people that might otherwise be hit with a stray bullet. Some handguns for what ever reason do not have triggers with a smooth action. I am not a lawyer but I just can’t see how this improvement could be seen in a negative manner. Apex tactical makes excellent trigger kits for the m&p line of handguns. I put one in my gun and carry it everyday. Anyone wanting to have a more controllable trigger on their m&p pistol should visit their web site. This is just one guy's opinion for what it's worth.

Many trigger jobs lighten the pull too much. When Glock came out NCY police were shooting everything in sight. The trigger was too light for them after years of DA revolvers being used. They then came out with the "New York" trigger from Glock that put 2 or 3 lbs. on the trigger pull to put an end to ND's.Light triggers are for target and distance comp. shooting. Stress can be a bear to deal with when you are fighting for your life with a firearm. By going to the range and working on trigger control and follow up shots when under stress the trigger soon becomes a moot point. If your trigger is too light a bump or stumble could cause you to shoot yourself and thats never a good thing. Rayf, brother you do bring up a fair point and Apex makes a really nice trigger but they are not too light and Apex is the exception not the rule here. The best cure for trigger control is practice and more practice. By the way dry practice is free new triggers, sears, disconnectors etc. are not. Id rather have that money for more ammo, a new holster or dinner with my wife. Peace bro. Whats everyone else think???
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnr View Post
    Many trigger jobs lighten the pull too much. When Glock came out NCY police were shooting everything in sight. The trigger was too light for them after years of DA revolvers being used. They then came out with the "New York" trigger from Glock that put 2 or 3 lbs. on the trigger pull to put an end to ND's.Light triggers are for target and distance comp. shooting. Stress can be a bear to deal with when you are fighting for your life with a firearm. By going to the range and working on trigger control and follow up shots when under stress the trigger soon becomes a moot point. If your trigger is too light a bump or stumble could cause you to shoot yourself and thats never a good thing. Rayf, brother you do bring up a fair point and Apex makes a really nice trigger but they are not too light and Apex is the exception not the rule here. The best cure for trigger control is practice and more practice. By the way dry practice is free new triggers, sears, disconnectors etc. are not. Id rather have that money for more ammo, a new holster or dinner with my wife. Peace bro. Whats everyone else think???
    Quoted for the truth...

And I agree with Tom on this one. If, God forbid, you ever have to use your weapon for self defense you can bet that every aspect of it is going to be examined. I'm not saying that an overzealous prosecutor with a political agenda will stand up in Court and say, "The State will prove that rayf murdered this innocent victim, and that he premeditated it because he adjusted the trigger of his gun making it easier to fire and allowing him to shoot more bullets faster." but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Accuracy is an important thing, but even more important in a defensive shooting is combat accuracy. If you are not combat accurate at typical self defense shooting distances with a stock trigger, then you've got other problems besides your trigger because you will not have time to do all the other things necessary to make your shots pin-point accurate (like breath control, standing still, perfect sight picture, perfect stance, perfect grip, and perfect trigger control). If you have the time to do all of those things perfectly, then you have the time to escape the situation instead.

For reference, rules #5, 8 and 10 are particularly applicable here.
    http://eagle21.com/rules-of-gun-fighting/
    Last edited by norahc; 08-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

You're both absolutely right! I've never heard anything about the firearm used in the Zimmerman / Martin case which almost surprised me, but you can be sure if he had any modifications performed on his handgun the prosecutor would of made an issue out of it. Some may say it improves accuracy and so forth but, I've never heard of anyone miss their target from 10' because of a heavy trigger pull.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Quote Originally Posted by MP Gunther View Post
    You're both absolutely right! I've never heard anything about the firearm used in the Zimmerman / Martin case which almost surprised me, but you can be sure if he had any modifications performed on his handgun the prosecutor would of made an issue out of it. Some may say it improves accuracy and so forth but, I've never heard of anyone miss their target from 10' because of a heavy trigger pull.
    Exactly!

Shooting for competition is one thing...and a good trigger job is almost a must there.
    Shooting for self defense is something completely different.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

I wouldn't use a gun that had a trigger job done as a carry gun either. You're carrying the gun for protection so you should purchase a gun for protection. A trigger job is for competition, range, or having fun, why put yourself at risk.

I'll even go one step further. I wouldn't even use a purchased used gun as a carry gun because I really don't know if anything has ever been done to it. I want a new gun from the manufacture that it's primary reason for that purchase is to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by rayf View Post
    Trigger jobs. I think Tom is a good guy, I love his videos and agree with his views on the 2nd amendment. His recent videos on trigger jobs and every day carry guns however I didn’t agree with.
    I really doesn't matter what we agree with or not, that will be decided by the prosecuting attorney if anything every happens.

Good thread.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I stand by my original view of the m&p 45 compact apex trigger installation. It is a reasonable improvement to make and shows concern for accuracy in any defensive situation. This can only be viewed as good thing, in my opinion.

I am glad everyone is chiming in on this. Zimmermans gun was a stock Keltic. It was scrutinized by the State but they found the trigger was not modified, if it was they would have claimed it was such a light trigger it may have not gone off, etc.