Thread: So how are you supposed to get your gun out of NY?

So how are you supposed to get your gun out of NY?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/ny...ival.html?_r=0

I think most of you would agree with me that NY guns laws are insane but, someone I know is planning to attend a Sig Sauer Academy class and then work his way down southward visiting attractions on his way and then fly out of NYCity. He will obviously have his Sig Sauers with him, as prescribed by laws of many Northeastern states the guns will be locked up while in his car but, how does he get them on the plane legally? Is he going to have to ship from a UPS location?

Don't go to NY. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/ny...ival.html?_r=0

I think most of you would agree with me that NY guns laws are insane but, someone I know is planning to attend a Sig Sauer Academy class and then work his way down southward visiting attractions on his way and then fly out of NYCity. He will obviously have his Sig Sauers with him, as prescribed by laws of many Northeastern states the guns will be locked up while in his car but, how does he get them on the plane legally? Is he going to have to ship from a UPS location?
    This question took a long time to get an answer, but for future reference...if you bring a handgun into NY without a NY permit or into NYC without an NYC permit you have committed a crime and you will be charged. If you take the weapon to the airport to check in for a flight, you will be arrested. If you have it locked in the trunk of your car and it is discovered, you will be arrested. If you have permits in 49 states, 67 countries, and Jesus loves you, but you don't have a NY permit for your handgun, you will be arrested.

If you are attending a sanctioned firearm related event such as a competition in NY you might get a letter from the AG to authorize the transport, but few if any are held in NY precisely because you will likely be arrested.

The best way to avoid being arrested it to leave your weapon outside NY. If you have to enter NY, leave the weapon with an FFL BEFORE you enter the state, and pick it up after you leave the state, or better yet, have they FFL ship the weapon to an FFL at your home.

DO NOT bring a weapon into NY.
    Our nation was founded by the courageous and the strong. The cowards didn't dare come here, and the weak didn't survive. But once the hard work was done, and the danger conquered... well, you see what happened.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, then I know a lot of extremely dangerous people.

USAF, NRA (Life), GOA, NAGR, NYSCOPE, NYSR&P, PCNY, APC, WARP, Blue Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post
    This question took a long time to get an answer, but for future reference...if you bring a handgun into NY without a NY permit or into NYC without an NYC permit you have committed a crime and you will be charged. If you take the weapon to the airport to check in for a flight, you will be arrested. If you have it locked in the trunk of your car and it is discovered, you will be arrested. If you have permits in 49 states, 67 countries, and Jesus loves you, but you don't have a NY permit for your handgun, you will be arrested.

If you are attending a sanctioned firearm related event such as a competition in NY you might get a letter from the AG to authorize the transport, but few if any are held in NY precisely because you will likely be arrested.

The best way to avoid being arrested it to leave your weapon outside NY. If you have to enter NY, leave the weapon with an FFL BEFORE you enter the state, and pick it up after you leave the state, or better yet, have they FFL ship the weapon to an FFL at your home.

And what happens if you are legally transporting your weapon on a flight that is diverted to NY, and you have to re-board or change airlines to continue on to your destination? I vaguely recall an incident similar to this happening a few years ago, but I'm not positive.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Quote Originally Posted by Major Malfunction View Post

GREAT ANSWER ! don't take a handgun to New York PERIOD
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    And what happens if you are legally transporting your weapon on a flight that is diverted to NY, and you have to re-board or change airlines to continue on to your destination? I vaguely recall an incident similar to this happening a few years ago, but I'm not positive.
    The moment the firearm enters your possession, you do the monopoly thing - go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect $200 - in fact you can plan on spending thousands.

If the firearm is properly loaded into baggage, and it stays there, you are OK. If your baggage is returned to you, even to take it to another flight, you've got problems. When you try to check in you must declare the firearm. When you do that, the check-in agent will call the police, and you are tagged. It has happened. A lot.

If you have it properly locked in the trunk of your car to transport through NY, and you don't stop in NY, you are OK (just hope you don't get pulled over and searched). But, if you stop at a hotel, a friend or relative, and you're are caught, you are done.

Now, to be fair, not every officer you meet will hook you up just because you are transporting a firearm as long as you are doing so legally. However, some places, NYC in particular, have a zero tolerance policy - which means they don't even tolerate U.S. federal law which allows you to transport. They might not win the case in court, but they will put you through hell, confiscate your weapon, ignore court orders to return it upon resolution of the case, and force you to sue them, at a cost much higher than the value of most firearms before they give it back. Then, when you take possession of it, they will likely arrest you for possessing it (just kidding - they won't give it to you).

And note - I'm referring to handguns or long guns that are prohibited or regulated. Unregulated long guns are not as big a problem. Unfortunately, if we don't kick their commie asses in court, the list of regulated arms is going to grow until it includes everything - even your kid's super-soaker.

And if NY succeeds in squashing the 2nd amendment, you can bet the attack will be coming to your state because the Constitution hating, freedom hating, government must control everything crowd is already skulking around your state, lurking in dark corners, hiding behind filthy dumpsters, just waiting to jump out and destroy everything our founders held sacred.
    Last edited by Major Malfunction; 08-03-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Our nation was founded by the courageous and the strong. The cowards didn't dare come here, and the weak didn't survive. But once the hard work was done, and the danger conquered... well, you see what happened.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, then I know a lot of extremely dangerous people.

USAF, NRA (Life), GOA, NAGR, NYSCOPE, NYSR&P, PCNY, APC, WARP, Blue Knights