Thread: Rifles

Rifles

I've seen some stuff and have a question. Looking at the huge AR vs AK argument, does the gas piston AR solve the issue with the two? Does it make the AR more reliable and up to par with the AK? Or does it diminish the worth of the AR?

This depends a lot on the specific AR, as a lot of the piston ARs have issues with carrier tilt that can actually cause more problems than a gas impingement AR (traditional.)
    Honestly, an AR is reliable if you take care of it. Clean it regularly and you eliminate the real issue of the gas tube and action getting coked up with residue, so unless you're shooting over 5,000 rounds between cleanings in a combat situation in sand or mud, you most likely will never have your gas impingement AR give you any trouble. The bad rep the AR got was from Viet Nam era soldiers who carried it, not understanding the real inner workings, and not properly, and regularly cleaning the weapons. This caused them to jam up at very inopportune times. Clean em, and you won't have a problem.

The AK is a great gun, and I won't argue the whole 5.56x45 vs 7.62x39 thing, as there are pros and cons to both rounds, but I will offer that the reason I really like the AR platform is for it's modular versatility. You can swap uppers and change calibers from .223/5.56, up to .300 AAC before you have to change lowers, and even use the same magazines for the various rounds. Optics and accessories for the AR are myriad, and you can make one look almost any way you like from a full 18" free floating barrel with high end scope, to an SBR with a vertical fore grip, adjustable stock, or pistol buffer, and a red dot. It's almost endless for options to customize the gun. The AK isn't quite as friendly to options in the aftermarket, but it's a very reliable gun that while not quite as accurate as the AR, if you have a well-made AR, it is more durable to being dragged through mud and sand and still working even when neglected badly.

Horses for courses.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Just get a Tavor and be done with both those archaic weapons.

What the heck was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
    What the heck was that?
    Just a troll bro... we gotta weed them out.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager