Thread: Beretta Nano 8-round extended magazine modification

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beretta Nano 8-round extended magazine modification

So, I noticed that when Beretta released the 8-round extended magazine for the Nano, they cheaped out a little, and used the exact same steel sleeve from the 6-round standard magazines. The problem with this, is that there are only 5 view ports to show that the mag is fully loaded, leaving rounds 7 and 8 hidden, so I decided to fix this on my two extended magazines. Here's how I did it:

1. I disassembled the magazine, by removing the retaining pin from the mag extension block, using a center punch.
    2. I lifted the spring plate slightly with the same center punch, from the floor of the mag extension block, using the hole provided in the bottom of said block, and slid the extension block forward, removing it from the magazine sleeve.
    3. I set the floor plate, extension block, retaining pin, spring, and follower aside in a plastic baggie for safe keeping, leaving just the mag sleeve (steel) to work with.
    4. I masked both sides of the mag sleeve with masking tape, then used an X-acto knife to cut out the existing view ports in the tape.
    5. using a straight edge, and a pencil, I drew two vertical lines on each side of the mag sleeve, on the masking, disecting the view ports in each row from top to bottom.
    6. I measured the distance between view ports from center to center, which came to 1/64" shy of 2" between each port.
    7. I marked the horizontal cross-hatch for ports #7 and #8 on each side of the mag sleeve.
    8. I used a sharp punch to center-punch a divot at each view port center, so the drill bit won't slide around when I start drilling.
    9. I used a drill press and a 1/8" titanium drill bit, with the press stopped so that it only pierced one side of the mag sleeve at a time, to insure the holes would line up and be square.
    10. I drilled the holes with the press on one side, then flipped the sleeve and drilled the other side, using a small drop of machine oil to cool the bit as I drilled. The bit went through the steel like a hot knife through butter, but dulled the bit so that I had to change bits for the final of the 4 holes to be drilled.
    11. I stripped off the masking tape, and re-assembled the magazine(s).

images below:

original 8-round, 5-port magazine:

disassembled, masked, and marked mag sleeve:

Last edited by GlassWolf; 05-23-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Completed 8-round, 7-port magazines:

It's a fairly easy job, and one you can do at home with some fairly basic tools. I just like knowing a magazine is fully loaded when I glance at it, without having to go by the weight and feel of it in my hand, so I decided to modify these mags.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Good thinking, Nice Job!
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

My next video will be on a PX4 Storm