Thread: Hello From the land of 10K Plus Lakes...(Michigan)

Hello From the land of 10K Plus Lakes...(Michigan)

Hello All...

I did NOT know that Tom had a forum.
    Not until I watched his latest video on Shoulder Holsters.

Anyways, I am Old Dood (or OldDood...Or simply Dood )

I have not owned any firearms since I was very young.
    My wife when we were married almost 30 years ago (May 6th) did not want firearms in the home when we had growing children.
    I did not argue that point and complied with her decree.
    It made sense to me since I was a young Father then and I did not want the risk or the responsibility at that time with firearms in the house.
    I believe it was the right call then. My son for example could snoop and find ANYthing. He always knew what his X-Mas presents were for example.
    Even a good gun safe would not be enough for me. Somehow my son would have figured a way into it.
    (I know we did when I was a kid.... )

So a few years ago I realized that our children were all 'Grown Up' and lo and behold I said it is TIME!
    In fact my children enjoy going to the range with their Old Man from time to time.
    My daughter wants to get her own CPL soon.

Now my wife still was not 'Happy' but, she understood and she realized that I do TRAIN...and then Train some more.
    She doesn't fully 'Get It' about the need to carry a firearm.
    While we were shopping at X-Mas time this past year she noticed I was carrying my little SP101.
    (We always shop for each other while we are out so we get what the other one really wants/needs and she saw a flash of my revolver while I was trying on clothes)
    She looked at me and said that was 'creepy'. I instantly reminded her that we are in a MALL and crazy dung can happen in such public places.
    It would not be 'Creepy' then now would it dear?
    I also reminded her that I will ALWAYS carry when possible. Get USE to it Dear!

I am not as young as I use to be and I have chronic pain everyday. Carrying a firearm is my equalizer in that respect.
    It also keeps me honest with myself and keeps me in control of my own temper since it is a Responsibility to carry a firearm.
    I realize I am speaking to the choir here. Many if not all of you understand this.
    To carry a firearm is a Big Responsibility and never to be taken lightly....
    When I took my CCW class I noticed people were ansy to get on with it so they can shoot and finish up.
    Myself I was looking forward to more info about the Legal Ramifications of carrying firearms from the attorney we had in our class.
    Some of them did not realize that the person that did the Legal Part of our CCW class worked at the State Attorney General's office for Michigan.
    This to me was a big plus.
    I found it very interesting.
    It also sobered me up to the fact that pulling out your carry piece even if you had 100 witnesses stating you were 'Defending Your Life' (or lives of loved ones and not property) you can still be arrested and treated no different then a criminal.
    In Michigan you cannot use your firearm to defend property. A loved family Pet is property for example.

So anyways, I figured I would sign up here and read. Hopefully contribute if I can. However, to learn mostly.
    I apologize for the long post...

Welcome to the forums!! Take your wife to the range and have her shoot a few rounds, maybe she might enjoy it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Red face Welcome Old Dood! Great wisdom! Being well informed is essential to conceal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDood View Post
    Hello All...

I did NOT know that Tom had a forum.
    Not until I watched his latest video on Shoulder Holsters.

Anyways, I am Old Dood (or OldDood...Or simply Dood )

I have not owned any firearms since I was very young.
    My wife when we were married almost 30 years ago (May 6th) did not want firearms in the home when we had growing children.
    I did not argue that point and complied with her decree.
    It made sense to me since I was a young Father then and I did not want the risk or the responsibility at that time with firearms in the house.
    I believe it was the right call then. My son for example could snoop and find ANYthing. He always knew what his X-Mas presents were for example.
    Even a good gun safe would not be enough for me. Somehow my son would have figured a way into it.
    (I know we did when I was a kid.... )

So a few years ago I realized that our children were all 'Grown Up' and lo and behold I said it is TIME!
    In fact my children enjoy going to the range with their Old Man from time to time.
    My daughter wants to get her own CPL soon.

Now my wife still was not 'Happy' but, she understood and she realized that I do TRAIN...and then Train some more.
    She doesn't fully 'Get It' about the need to carry a firearm.
    While we were shopping at X-Mas time this past year she noticed I was carrying my little SP101.
    (We always shop for each other while we are out so we get what the other one really wants/needs and she saw a flash of my revolver while I was trying on clothes)
    She looked at me and said that was 'creepy'. I instantly reminded her that we are in a MALL and crazy dung can happen in such public places.
    It would not be 'Creepy' then now would it dear?
    I also reminded her that I will ALWAYS carry when possible. Get USE to it Dear!

I am not as young as I use to be and I have chronic pain everyday. Carrying a firearm is my equalizer in that respect.
    It also keeps me honest with myself and keeps me in control of my own temper since it is a Responsibility to carry a firearm.
    I realize I am speaking to the choir here. Many if not all of you understand this.
    To carry a firearm is a Big Responsibility and never to be taken lightly....
    When I took my CCW class I noticed people were ansy to get on with it so they can shoot and finish up.
    Myself I was looking forward to more info about the Legal Ramifications of carrying firearms from the attorney we had in our class.
    Some of them did not realize that the person that did the Legal Part of our CCW class worked at the State Attorney General's office for Michigan.
    This to me was a big plus.
    I found it very interesting.
    It also sobered me up to the fact that pulling out your carry piece even if you had 100 witnesses stating you were 'Defending Your Life' (or lives of loved ones and not property) you can still be arrested and treated no different then a criminal.
    In Michigan you cannot use your firearm to defend property. A loved family Pet is property for example.

So anyways, I figured I would sign up here and read. Hopefully contribute if I can. However, to learn mostly.
    I apologize for the long post...

Knowing the legal repercussions when we decide to draw our gun is a important as good marksmanship to protect our lives! Both are essential to our well being. Your contribution is invaluable.

Welcome to the forum, great input. Thank you, Tom