Thread: what if?

what if?

New to the forum...expecting my ccl anyday. Just wondering what people would say if someone asked them about a bulge, or belt clip. Some people would give smart remarks but I am a church pastor and a general respectful person so naturally I would rather give a polite anwer. Any suggestions?

I have never had someone ask. Most people hardly pay attention unless it is a friend or family member that might notice then I would tell them, but honestly I would never tell any stranger unless law enforcement officer (if asked) that I am carrying a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by tdhollingshed View Post
    New to the forum...expecting my ccl anyday. Just wondering what people would say if someone asked them about a bulge, or belt clip. Some people would give smart remarks but I am a church pastor and a general respectful person so naturally I would rather give a polite anwer. Any suggestions?

Hyper-awareness of carrying a firearm is common, expected, and quite natural with a brand new CCW (concealed permit.) One suggestion I have for you, is to wear as much as possible, including around the home, just to get used to the feel of the gun on your person. The more you wear it, the less you'll think about it, until you really don't think about it being there much at all anymore, which will take a few months to reach.
    That said, if anyone was to ask me about it, I'd personally tell them what I've told people since 1997. That it's an insulin pump (which I do wear, but on my weak side.) Since this may not be an option for everyone, you have to carefully consider your response, and how you're dressed. I've read of people who've had a child ask them "Is that a gun?" and point to the weapon, which from 4' above the ground at a child's eye level, might be glimpsed under an untucked polo shirt for example. In that case, the person very politely addressed the child and parent, and informed them that yes, it was a gun, and that he is licensed to carry it, smiled, nodded, and moved on about his business. If the person just sees a bulge, which unless you conceal a Desert Eagle .50AE, and you're the size of a slim girl, shouldn't ever really happen, you could just say "oh, it's just something on my belt." and move along, tell them you're a licensed permit holder if you don't think you'll upset the person, you could lie and say it's something else, although that could lead to problems both morally speaking, and if they don't buy the excuse and you end up explaining to the cops they called why you lied to someone while carrying a gun in public.
    I've carried with tuckable IWB holsters that allow a shirt to be tucked in so all you see is one or two belt clips. These generally never get any attention. Most times I use an appendix carry IWB holster for a sub-compact (Nano) 9mm, or I use a hybrid crossbreed-style holster for a full sized service pistol (Walther PPQ or H&K P30) at my 4 to 5 o'clock position. I'm 5'6", 115lbs, and I've worn both with as little as a T-shirt and cargo shorts, and have yet to ever be called out.

Something you have to understand about humanity in general, is that situational awareness is something you learn, and rarely something you're naturally born with. 99% of the people out there on the street are too self-absorbed in conversation, or on a smart phone, or looking for a product in a store, to notice anything. If you have cable TV, check out a series on right now called "Brain Games" on the Nat'l Geographic channel. They have an episode that covers how the brain works in relation to the ability to notice things, how small out center of focus really is, etc. Basically, people can look right at things, and not even see them unless they are actively looking for that specific thing at the exclusion of everything around them.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Hyper-awareness of carrying a firearm is common, expected, and quite natural with a brand new CCW (concealed permit.) One suggestion I have for you, is to wear as much as possible, including around the home, just to get used to the feel of the gun on your person. The more you wear it, the less you'll think about it, until you really don't think about it being there much at all anymore, which will take a few months to reach.
    Our instructor in our glass kept drilling this into our heads. If you're going to carry, carry all the time for the exact reasons you stated.

Great advise!! Great post!!
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    That said, if anyone was to ask me about it, I'd personally tell them what I've told people since 1997. That it's an insulin pump (which I do wear, but on my weak side.) Since this may not be an option for everyone, you have to carefully consider your response, and how you're dressed. I've read of people who've had a child ask them "Is that a gun?" and point to the weapon, which from 4' above the ground at a child's eye level, might be glimpsed under an untucked polo shirt for example. In that case, the person very politely addressed the child and parent, and informed them that yes, it was a gun, and that he is licensed to carry it, smiled, nodded, and moved on about his business. If the person just sees a bulge, which unless you conceal a Desert Eagle .50AE, and you're the size of a slim girl, shouldn't ever really happen, you could just say "oh, it's just something on my belt." and move along, tell them you're a licensed permit holder if you don't think you'll upset the person, you could lie and say it's something else, although that could lead to problems both morally speaking, and if they don't buy the excuse and you end up explaining to the cops they called why you lied to someone while carrying a gun in public.
    I've carried with tuckable IWB holsters that allow a shirt to be tucked in so all you see is one or two belt clips. These generally never get any attention. Most times I use an appendix carry IWB holster for a sub-compact (Nano) 9mm, or I use a hybrid crossbreed-style holster for a full sized service pistol (Walther PPQ or H&K P30) at my 4 to 5 o'clock position. I'm 5'6", 115lbs, and I've worn both with as little as a T-shirt and cargo shorts, and have yet to ever be called out.

Something you have to understand about humanity in general, is that situational awareness is something you learn, and rarely something you're naturally born with. 99% of the people out there on the street are too self-absorbed in conversation, or on a smart phone, or looking for a product in a store, to notice anything. If you have cable TV, check out a series on right now called "Brain Games" on the Nat'l Geographic channel. They have an episode that covers how the brain works in relation to the ability to notice things, how small out center of focus really is, etc. Basically, people can look right at things, and not even see them unless they are actively looking for that specific thing at the exclusion of everything around them.
    This...

And it would make a great video for Tom to do - "The Stages of Concealed Carry"
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

As a young preacher, I think that it is awesome that you are carrying. I think pastors hesitate to conceal carry because they'll look like a brawler. In fact, you are protecting your sheep. I am making a video on that topic soon. I'll send you a link to the video when I post it.

From my experience, a person will only notice you are carrying if they're looking for it. Most people do not notice a clip or odd wrinkle in your clothes. I told one of my brothers about seeing where exactly one person was concealing his pistol and my brother looked at me funny and asked "He was?" So they will usually only notice it if they are looking for it.

Look up sneaky pete holsters. They have great options for concealing while dressing sharp.

Re: what if?

Thanks! Would love to see that video. Most of the other posters were correct. No one notices, and the more I carry the less I notice. Only one two people know that I carry and they don't seem to notice or care, and my wife has asked me if I had "it" on. I guess she can't tell either. Long story short I now feel more prepared to protect myself, my family, and my church people. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by tdhollingshed View Post
    Thanks! Would love to see that video. Most of the other posters were correct. No one notices, and the more I carry the less I notice. Only one two people know that I carry and they don't seem to notice or care, and my wife has asked me if I had "it" on. I guess she can't tell either. Long story short I now feel more prepared to protect myself, my family, and my church people. Thanks for the comments.
    One thing that wasn't mentioned earlier is your attitude when carrying has a lot to do with other people's perceptions. If you act furtive and give off the vibe that you are carrying but are afraid of getting in trouble, people seem to pick up on it. If you are carrying and act like it is a completely normal thing to do, then fewer people notice.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori