Thread: Leaver vs bolt action

Post Leaver vs bolt action

In your opinion what kind of rifle is better for a day at the range bolt or leaver action?

Depends upon distance and caliber.

Personally, I don't own any bolt actions but have 3 lever actions. There's just something about them I find appealing.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Quote Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
    In your opinion what kind of rifle is better for a day at the range bolt or leaver action?
    pros and cons to both designs. lever action is faster to reload, and typically won't require you to change your position, grip, etc. The bolt action will be more accurate at longer ranges, due to having fewer moving parts.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Bolt action because of the accuracy it delivers. Some people will argue that levers are better for hunting because they are usually shorter and lighter which makes them a little easier to carry but a heavier rifle should keep the recoil down a little which will make it more enjoyable to shoot.

Levers are usually more ambidextrous than bolts, too.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

For a "day at the range" I'd go bolt and get some exercise in walking out to that 200 yard marker
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I like the idea of lever action vs bolt but I must be the only person in the world that it bothers the backside of my hand (between the knuckles) . I've tried the lever actions on two different new rifles but both bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by flw View Post
    I like the idea of lever action vs bolt but I must be the only person in the world that it bothers the backside of my hand (between the knuckles) . I've tried the lever actions on two different new rifles but both bothered me.
    Have you tried wrapping the loop in leather?