Thread: New guy with AR 15 questions

New guy with AR 15 questions

Howdy,
    I have given into the buying frenzy and just bought a Colt AR 15 .223 at gunsamerica for $1750. I'm sure it is overpriced, but supply and demand dictates in today's gun market. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. This will be my 1st AR 15 and I really wanted a Colt so I "bite the bullet" and pay a lot. I don't know much about the AR 15 and would like some suggestions for accessaries for this weapon. Are there any "must haves"? I will use it for target practice and hopefully, prairie dog hunting in North and South Dakota. I live in Minnesota and all the outdoor ranges are pretty cold and full of snow, but I will try the local indoor range soon. I suppose this should be posted on another forum, but I am new to this. Thanks.

If it is going to be a hunting rifle for p-dogs, then you will need a scope and a sling.

If it is going to be for self defense, then you will need a light and a sling.

Before you add anything else other than what I've mentioned, shoot it first and see how it feels. I would avoid adding a bunch of things that add weight and only serve to satisfy some "tacticool" use. The only accessory I haven't mentioned yet is probably the most important...spare mags. Good luck finding them without offering up your firstborn.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Norahc is right. The only major accessories I would say are critical are magazines and ammo. Good luck.
    BTW, Im from MN too. Cool!
    An effective militia is autorized and contemplated by the constitution and required
    by the spirit and safety of free government.
    James Madison

I love the bushnell red dot micros, most agree they are a great bang for the buck. PM me for a discount on my site anytime....