Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad story of the day.

Sad story of the day.

So my best friend of 25 years calls me saying he's going out of town for a week and would feel better having a gun. He wanted to know if he could borrow a pistol. Since I regularly carry my other hand guns, I agreed to let him borrow my Springfield MC Operator. This guy's been like a brother to me since we were 5 years old and he served our country in Iraq. No cause for concern, right? That week has turned into 2 weeks. On day 8, he assured me he was coming home the next day. Day 10: coming home the next day. Day 11: no answer. Day 12: no answer. Still no answer as I'm typing this. In my research (talking with his family and people who know him), it's been discovered that he's developed a drug dependency (what?). I'm beginning to suspect he never left town. I drove past his gf's house and she's clearly home (he claimed she went with him). His car is in his driveway but no one answers. He's probably staying at her house. This all is just mind-boggling. The results of banging on the door of a drug addict demanding my gun has CNN story written all over it. This definitely has me thinking of who a person can trust. I don't know this man at all. I'm thinking it's in the local pawn shop and he's stalling until he gets the money to get it out of pawn. In my eyes, it's stolen. But in the eyes of the law, it's just my word against his. He can say I gave it to him. I have the NRA insurance but I'm not sure how that would work here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Report it stolen before it gets used in a crime and you are involved in the aftermath.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

WOW! I was taught to NEVER EVER lend or give your gun to ANYBODY no matter what...your responsible. I wish you luck in getting it back with out incidence.

Re: Sad story of the day.

I was able to get it back this morning with some persuasion. And I've always had the philosophy that if there's someone in my life I can't trust with a gun, they shouldn't be in my life. Unfortunately, it took this to realize as much.

Glad you were able to get it back without going to the police.

Did he need a little of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzWKUQZLSU
    Last edited by norahc; 02-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Re: Sad story of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    Glad you were able to get it back without going to the police.

Did he need a little of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzWKUQZLSU
    Lol gotta love Hank. The call to his mother did the trick. That's just sad. I've pointed him in the direction of the help he obviously needs.

Glad things worked out

neither a lender nor borrower be.

In my state, if you both don't have a hand gun permit, to transfer between each other, even a spouse, instant three hots and a cot, if you get caught.

Never lend anyone, anything if you can help it, and borrowing the same way. Be self sufficient, and require others to so as well, especially with firearms.
    NRA Life Member Class of 1991 GOA Life Member Class of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
    In my state, if you both don't have a hand gun permit, to transfer between each other, even a spouse, instant three hots and a cot, if you get caught.

Never lend anyone, anything if you can help it, and borrowing the same way. Be self sufficient, and require others to so as well, especially with firearms.
    well, thank God we don't live in your state