Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Post What would you do?

Your in bed asleep and you hear one knock at your door than some strange guy just walks in your home saying he's your next door neighbors brother and he locked himself out. He claims that he locked his key's and ID are in the apartment and want's to know if you can let him in. I had this situation this morning and even though I didn't have one of my guns in reach I did have one of my knives. What would you have done?

Assess the threat level, get to one of the weapons and have it at hand, although I wouldn't bring it to bear unless I felt that I was in danger. I'd politely ask him to step back outside the front door and wait for me to get dressed. I'd get dressed, grab the gun, and probably make a call to 911 and let them sort it all out if I did not recognize the person myself. If they refused to leave, I'd probably draw down, tell them either to leave, or kneel down, cross ankles, interlace fingers, etc.. but I have a gun in a bedside holster at finger's reach when I'm asleep, and a pair of cuffs within 3 feet of the bed, too. Again, it's really hard to say what I'd do unless I was in the moment in any particular situation.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I'm sorry, if I'm sleeping in bed and someone walks in that I don't know who the hell they are, I don't care who they say they are! I'm drawing my firearm, calling 911 and let them record my conversation with the intruder...the rest would be, Let's see what happends.

Nice response.

I know what you mean. However when someone enters your home at ten to eight on a saturday morning your not really assessing the threat level your just grabbing what ever weapon you have to protect you and your family and takeing it from there.

well, I'm a light sleeper anyway, but I also have an alarm system and locked doors. How did the guy get into your house to begin with? Don't you lock your doors and windows?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I do keep the door locked but not my window. Like yourself I'm a light sleeper so getting in the window isn't an option. In terms of the door being locked normally it is but this time I guess I forgot to lock it.

ouch.. bad timing I guess.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Time to get a dog then.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

you showed amazing levelheadedness--can only imagine what could have happened, and wonder about the ignorance level of the person that figured they could just walk in your house to get let in--even if you knew the guy it's stupid to come in somewhere you're not supposed to be unannounced.