Thread: Banned from forums.

Banned from forums.

It seems I've been banned from 2 forums, Glocktalk and Sigforums. Here's the problem...I've never had an account with either of these before. Sigforums says my email address has been banned. I have a pretty unique address, and I've had it for a long time, so I doubt it could be someone else with my email from years back. Glocktalk says my IP has been banned. The IP they're referring to is my phone. I've never even been to their forum before today. I've emailed Sigforums several times over the last year, with zero responses. I sent my first email to Glocktalk today. Has anyone else had a problem like this? It just seems weird that someone can ban you when you've never been to their site before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it is actually quite common. Forums are flooded with spammers and such that use fake IP addresses and email accounts to register and flood the forums with spam. A lot of forums use a program similar to StopForumSpam that is a central database to check if a new account is a known spammer. Things like username, email address, and ip address are all checked. On one forum I'm an admin on, we've gone to proactively banning these types of members before they even post based upon certain triggers in their online profile.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Re: Banned from forums.

I just wish there was a way to plead my case to a truly listening ear.

Sent you a PM that may help.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

If you've been banned from two forums it due to one of two thing's. The first is someone hacked your email and posted stuff on the sites that others found offensive. The second is they found something offensive with your email and put you on the cyber no fly list. Either way both suck! you should try getting intouch with the site master for both forums and see if you can get back in under a different name.

crazy--i've had good luck, thankfully. so many forums out there it's hard to keep up--especially with divergent interests, too. let us know how it turns out

Still no luck. I've emailed admins of both forums on multiple occasions and I'm being ignored. It's just frustrating because I've never caused trouble on forums. I just want to be given an opportunity to discuss this. I could create a new email and custom IP just for these forums, but I shouldn't have to. It's the principle.

hi,
    I can understand it is frustrating for you, did you discuss the problems with the admins what did the tell you? And what is the reason of your ban.

One thing . . . Your IP address has nothing to do with your email address.
    One thing that could have happened is that a spamer used your IP address several times and that has been put on a "No Fly" list. To see your IP address you can go to any search engine and type into the search box "My IP Address." That is what they are referring to. If you maintain one of those "FREE" email addresses the best advice to you is change it.
    There is no such thing as "FREE" on the internet. Every time you send out an email from one of the "FREE" accounts you send out an ad to your recipient.
    If you have been hacked and someone is using your email address you can try and change your password.
    Sometimes that will work . . . .
    If you are not using a "FREE" email address than changing your password will certainly help.
    But only if your password is unique . . . . Use Upper and Lower Case and throw in a number or two here and there.
    Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to any and all elected officials."

"Ignorance is our only limitation."
    "Don't let anyone tell you what can't be done."

NRA Member
    California Rifle and Pistol Association member
    Webmaster for: http://www.redwoodpracticalshooters.org

Thanks for the advice. I recently changed my password to something very unique. I assume I'm still banned but I really don't care anymore. I like the forums I'm a member of well enough. Stuff happens.