Thread: Autozone Employee Fired For Stopping Robbery With His Own Gun, what would you do?

Autozone Employee Fired For Stopping Robbery With His Own Gun, what would you do?

A lot of people get fired in similar situations to this, they do something deemed dangerous or not in the best interest of the company and get fired for doing it. What are your guys opinions on something like this. If being robbed at work should you just comply and let it happen or would you do the same and take matters into your own hands.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/auto...armed-robber/#
    Weapons Education Moderator - If you have any suggestions to make these forums better use the contact us link at the bottom of any page.

There is no guarantee the person will walk out with only the money, and decide not to eliminate all witnesses. When I was growing up in Northern Virginia, there was a case wherein a fast food place got robbed. The person robbing the place marched the entire crew of employees into the deep freezer, had them lie on the floor, then he shot and killed every one of them, and left.

Truth is, I'd rather find a new minimum wage job than have someone else find my body for a couple hundred bucks in register change. I'd even give thought to suing the company that fired me, for having policies in place that put my own life in danger by disallowing me to legally carry a concealed firearm at work for self-defense.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Cant the employie sue for wrongful termination? The store must have a jack ass as an owner

It's a shame when someone stands up for what is the right thing to do and then gets slapped for doing so.

Let them know how you feel:

Auto Zone Corporate comments

See the details. The employee violated company policy so he'd have little grounds for a law suit. He left the store out the back door, got his gun from his car, and came back in to confront the robbers. Now that action alone opens a whole can of worms about proper procedure, what you'd have done, etc.. but the fact is instead of calling 9-1-1 and waiting for the cops to respond, he took matters into his own hands and confronted the adversaries instead of escaping to safety, as most self-defense courses would teach. I'm not going to go into right or wrong of it, or judge him for his actions, as I may have done the same myself, but them's the facts from what I've read.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

The criminal walks away with a smile and the hero loses his job.. How just… I’ll never step foot in an autozone again.
    More guns, less crime

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    The criminal walks away with a smile and the hero loses his job.. How just… I’ll never step foot in an autozone again.
    Use the email link three comments up and let them know that. I basically said they were irresponsible for firing some one who was doing the "right thing" and I too will never buy there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    Use the email link three comments up and let them know that. I basically said they were irresponsible for firing some one who was doing the "right thing" and I too will never buy there again.
    done. Thanks for the link
    More guns, less crime

Any legal gun owner in this forum should never do business with a store with such policy. Boooooo to Autozone !
    Beati pacifici

Almost all companies have that in there rules due to insurance and that if the robbers are only wounded it's liability issue then and it would cost the company more by being sued. Crime does pay and that's the simple fact. Look up how many people got sued and lost cause someone broke into there house and got hurt. One guy got locked in a garage and had to live on dog food for a week he sued the hell out of the family that he just tried to rob and he won. There are tons of cases like that. In this case I'd say the guys heart was in the right place but once he got out he should have waited for help cause that could have set the robber off and started shooting innocent people. I would have tried to sneak more people out the way I got out to try and lower the number of possible casualties before firing. I don't think they should have fired him cause no shots were fired and he didn't have the gun in the store till after it was needed and the company should have put in better security after the first robbery. More of the blame should fall on the company for not having better security or at least a guard hell even sheetz has security guards and there like a 7-11. What they should do is hire him back as a security guard with a pay raise from the article he apparently has training from the military so they wouldn't even have to pay to train him. I'd feel safer going into that store knowing that guy would be there as a guard after seeing this story and id be more likely to go to that store because they would have security. That store got robbed twice by the same guy i'd say security was needed.
    "Would you rather be tried by 12 or buried by 6 when it comes to defending your self?"