Thread: Teaching your kids to shoot?!?!?!

Teaching your kids to shoot?!?!?!

Let me know your thoughts, I plan on making a series of these. Tom, your girls are almost of age as well, I'd love to hear your thoughts, and am available to have my fam meet yours at the range in the future......could be a great time for our girls!

Both of my parents were officers in the Military, and I was taught proper use and handling of a firearm by them from a young age. By the time I reached an age to be in the Boy Scouts, I was an NRA certified marksman, and when I turned 16, spent the Summer working at a range as a range instructor/captain. I fully support teaching kids to shoot and safely handle firearms.

On the flip side, when I was really young, about 78 years old, prior to being taught to shoot, I was living in Korea, playing with some friends in the woods on post, and found a live anti-aircraft round while digging around in the dirt, left over from the war, in an old crater that was an AA mount, apparently. Not knowing any better, we picked the round up with an entrenching tool, and carried it back on the end of the shovel to the house to show the parents what we'd found. They freaked out a bit, called the EOD unit to come retrieve it, and that was that. Lack of knowing what to do correctly could have ended up much worse.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Gunnr, you waited too long Even if you don't teach them to actually shoot, you should still teach all of them proper handling of a firearm, like the 4 basic rules and so forth, so if they do encounter one, they don't end up shooting themselves by accident due to lack of information.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

In my opinion it depends on their age. When a child turns 8 or 9 than yeah teach them how to shoot because by than they should know right from wrong. But any younger the only thing they should be tought is to get an adult when they find a fire arm and that there not a toy. Haveing friends and family in both the police and emt field I've heard stories of young kids finding their fathers gun and either shooting themselves or a friend. I'm the first one to stand up and say that every home should have a gun but only if it's handeld properly. For example a friend of the family owns guns and we go shooting together he's tought both his grandsons to shoot and their both teenager's. But he has a grand daughter as well who is only six and he bought her a .22 pistol just so she doen't feel left out. Six year old kids don't need to have a gun of their own that's how accident's happen!

MY kid is 8 and is learning on a bb gun

Mine are so cool with it, a couple of Matt 9 and 12 year old girls. The respect piece is huge and I did not shy away from scaring the shit it of them almost to the point of freaking them out about what a bullet can do when used improperly. Young girls do not like blood or guts. Countered that with a hammer and a gun next to a snap cap and discussed the ability to kill with anything, not just guns.. Appreciate the discussion from all of you!

My boys (10 & 6) have seen, handled and dry-fired my gun. I have taken them to the range to watch me shoot (the 6yo calls the range "Gun School"). I will allow them to learn to shoot only if they are trained by a professional instructor. I speak openly and frankly about guns and answer all questions they have. They know that I carry, and know the basic safety rules involving guns. It is cute to watch them with their Nerf guns, they have turned our hallway into their "range" and handle their Nerf guns like they are real, and remind each other to "not point your gun at people" & "keep your finger off the trigger unless you are shooting".