Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Checks on Gun Channels - WTF?!?!?

and as far as the idiot who took ammo with him to a school.....C'MON MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTacDaddy View Post
    if you don't get the point, that's on you. Who is going to upload a mess up or accident?!?!?!?
    Grebner did.

I mean I feel bad for the guy, but he deserved what he got. You never try to shoot at anyone who is 8 inches away from you. Just the plain fact that they could then grab your gun and you may have just armed them with your weapon. I fail to understand what he was doing, why he was doing it and what the *#@^% was he thinking by then posting the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    Grebner did.

I mean I feel bad for the guy, but he deserved what he got. You never try to shoot at anyone who is 8 inches away from you. Just the plain fact that they could then grab your gun and you may have just armed them with your weapon. I fail to understand what he was doing, why he was doing it and what the *#@^% was he thinking by then posting the video.
    Actually, there are scenarios where you could be forced to shoot at that distance. And I understand the reasons why he uploaded the video, so I've got no issues with that.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    Actually, there are scenarios where you could be forced to shoot at that distance. And I understand the reasons why he uploaded the video, so I've got no issues with that.
    One could imagine all types of scenarios, but having to draw and shoot at someone who is six inches away is highly, highly unlikely.

The end result of him getting shot shows just how dangerous it could be. If he was being robbed that close he most likely would of lost his wallet and his firearm, and potentially his life.

The far better option would of been to move lateral or two steps back to allow better processing.

Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree, what he was attempting to do was tactically stupid and dangerous.

Actually shooting at someone at extreme close quarters is something that can be done, and done well with the proper training (see: Rob Pincus)

The trick to it, mainly, is to shoot from retention, and don't extend the muzzle beyond the plane of your own body. You press into the assailant, not draw back and away, and while doing so, you raise your support hand up to both get it out of the way of your muzzle, and to block the view of your opponent, allowing for a quick, clean shot or three into the torso before your aggressor realizes you even have a handgun.

What you do NOT do, is back away from the attacker, and try to fully extend the weapon and use your sights to fire get a sight picture before shooting. Any time you have someone within 21 feet, chances are they can reach you before you can complete a reactionary OODA loop, draw, extend, and fire. For that reason, you make the decision to shoot, and use intuitive point and fire techniques for ECQB.

It's really all about proper training and practice. We (my friends/colleagues and I) do a lot of this sort of training, since most of the encounters we have at work are extreme close quarters, working armed outside at clubs and concerts.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Glasswolf, Your absolutely right! I've never studied the senerios myself but I believe there are more times than not that the bad guy is in your face, a reason for carrying a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    I think he said in an interview he posted it so others wouldn't make the same mistake

Quote Originally Posted by MP Gunther View Post
    Glasswolf, Your absolutely right! I've never studied the senerios myself but I believe there are more times than not that the bad guy is in your face, a reason for carrying a revolver.
    Truth be told, both semi-auto and revolver handguns have their share of issues in ECQB. A revolver, if your adversary grabs the gun and locks up the cylinder, the gun is rendered useless, since the cylinder has to be able to rotate to cycle and fire in double action mode, and since revolvers don't have a manual thumb safety, you can't carry "with a round chambered, hammer back, safety on" in the style of a 1911.
    With a semi-auto, if you have to press the weapon into your target, you can easily press the slide out of battery, which will prevent the gun from firing unless you have both hands free to press on the rear of the slide as James yeager demonstrated in one of his videos if I recall, when atop his assailant on the ground.

Anyway, just some food for thought. There's always a way for a weapon to malfunction, or for Murphy's Law to kick in. If you know what can happen, you can prepare for it in training, and being prepared is key to avoiding a mishap.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MP Gunther View Post
    I think he said in an interview he posted it so others wouldn't make the same mistake
    I guess my question would be what mistake was that? The only thing he demonstrated was ignorance and arrogance.

Unless you are police, security, or bank cash guards, the odds of having to shoot someone at 4" is highly improbable. Having been a follower of the Armed Citizen for decades, this kind of situation for the average person is very unlikely.

I suspect if any of the range officers at my gun club saw him doing that he would of been kicked off the range. If I was standing next to someone doing that, I would leave for fear of being injured. He could of hit his femoral artery and died on the scene, or killed an innicent bystander.

Rule #1 of any self defense situation. Put distance between you and the attacker.

The only mistake Tex made was not using common sense.
    Last edited by Tux; 12-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.

TUX "The only mistake Tex made was not using common sense"

There is definetly no argument here!