Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy New or Used Guns?

If, perchance, you are concerned about buying a used gun, you can have a licensed gunsmith look it over to check for modifications or damage, and even have the metal parts magnifluxed to look for any microfractures that would otherwise go unnoticed. It's not too different from what you'd do with a stripped down engine block before building a performance engine, really. Make sure the parts that will see high pressures are solid all the way through.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I tend to buy new pistols and long guns. I have bought some used guns for cheap and turned a profit. My most recent purchase was a used pistol, it is my profile picture. I will add a picture on here too. Iwent into my local gun shop and it caught my eye as soon as I went through the door. And I wasn't at the pistol case yet. I went up to it and immediately asked how much. I knew right off it was an old S&W 629 8 3/8 " barrel. Yes it was used. It had sat on the previous owner's mantle for years. He went to the gun store and traded it for a Bushmaster AR15. I told them, i would have gladly given him mine for that pistol. After checking it out. It was made in 1987 of August. You don't find many laying around like that. Most of the used guns I buy. I buy them from someone privately and make a profit at the gun store.

So with my opinion about buying used is as follows:

1.Make sure you know who you're buying from. For example: a 12 gauge pump. Load it up. Then cycle it through. Do this a couple times. Then shoot it, if the seller doesn't want you shooting it. There is something wrong with it.
    2.Never give what they are asking for. You could buy a new one for that much
    3.If 1 & 2 fail, it was never meant to be

Here is the 629 i got, i can sell it right now for 2-400 more than I paid for it.

44magflash.jpg

never had a problem with used guns

Buy New or Used Guns?

I do both. Never had any issues with the traded/used guns.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/dxporker

I am a gun Newbie, just bought my first gun three weeks ago, a Glock 23 Gen 4. My next gun will probably be a .357 revolver. Being a gun newb, I really don't have the knowledge to look at a used gun and make a good assessment of its condition like many of you do. However, my thinking it that because revolvers have few moving parts than a semi auto, it is "easier" to assess their condition than the semi auto. Is my assumption correct or are my showing my novice experience with hand guns?

I'd like to suggest that you consider the .41 magnum for a revolver, if you're looking anyway. It's a less common round than .357, which makes finding ammo a lot easier currently, and it's a mroe powerful round as well. It's really one of my favorites in a caliber for revolvers almost exclusively (not counting the no longer made .41 mag Desert Eagle)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I am a gun Newbie, just bought my first gun three weeks ago, a Glock 23 Gen 4. My next gun will probably be a .357 revolver. Being a gun newb, I really don't have the knowledge to look at a used gun and make a good assessment of its condition like many of you do. However, my thinking it that because revolvers have few moving parts than a semi auto, it is "easier" to assess their condition than the semi auto. Is my assumption correct or are my showing my novice experience with hand guns?
    You'll want to see how much "play" there is in the cylinder, the tighter the better. A nice solid well made firearm in 357 mag would be a Ruger SP-101, it's all steel and a little heavy though...not a bad thing. I've got one with a Crimson Trace laser grip and it's one of my favorites, you also have an option to shoot 38's or 357's where you might have a little more luck finding ammo
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I'd like to suggest that you consider the .41 magnum for a revolver, if you're looking anyway. It's a less common round than .357, which makes finding ammo a lot easier currently, and it's a mroe powerful round as well. It's really one of my favorites in a caliber for revolvers almost exclusively (not counting the no longer made .41 mag Desert Eagle)
    Hmmmm. I don't know much about .41's, may have to research those.

Quote Originally Posted by MP Gunther View Post
    you also have an option to shoot 38's or 357's where you might have a little more luck finding ammo
    That is one of the characteristics I like about .357's and why they interest me.

I've bought used from my local GS. I have no problem buying used. Yiogo