Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray

Pepper Spray

At a MINIMUM, you should have this level of protection.....Agreed?

Well yeah, I believe so, but sadly not everyone does, and a can of good OC runs about $16-25 which some people just can't justify spending for something they never plan to use.
    Personally, I have Saber Red OC, a 21" and 26" expanding baton, a multitude of knives, and handguns to choose from, depending on where I'm going, and what I plan to wear.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Pepper Spray

Agreed. I carry my keys on an Asp Defender so I always have it with me.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Never carried Mace/Pepper Spray, myself... I would, but it's expensive! Could always mix your own (they call it PEPPER spray for a reason). Though, as far as spray goes, I used to have a can of WD-40 with me when I was riding my bike everywhere... I wouldn't have wanted to get sprayed with that, for sure. Never had to resort to that, or anything else, while out and about, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by DFX2KX View Post
    Never carried Mace/Pepper Spray, myself... I would, but it's expensive! Could always mix your own (they call it PEPPER spray for a reason). Though, as far as spray goes, I used to have a can of WD-40 with me when I was riding my bike everywhere... I wouldn't have wanted to get sprayed with that, for sure. Never had to resort to that, or anything else, while out and about, fortunately.
    This is what I'm talking about. People don't like paying for CS or OC. I get a good price on it from Lawmens, but in general it really is a bit pricey. I use it at work a LOT. We (our team) probably goes through a couple cans (large cans) a night of the Saber Red OC, breaking up fights at night clubs in the parking lots. It's the best way to chill those people out on the quicks. An ASP, or Taser would require us to cuff the people, and call in the Police to hauil them off. The OC, they can just wash it out, and go home.

Now the downside to OC: It doesn't work on everyone. We had one guy recently, real hulk of a guy, take two full streams to the face, and shake it off and laugh at us for spraying him. He backed down a lot more quickly when the ASP snapped out. Thankfully, didn't even have to use it. Just the presentation did the trick.

I bought some OC for my mother to carry in her purse since she doesn't carry, or have a CWP, but personally, I only use the OC at work, not for personal carry. I prefer the ASP tucked into my belt under the front of my shirt, or in a coat pocket when it's cold, along with the sidearm. The thing about a baton though, is that I strongly advise against carrying one unless you have training in it's use. Otherwise, you're facing a strong chance of having it taken from you by an adversary, and as James Yeager once said, having it shoved up your own *ahem* unpleasant place by that aggressor.

No matter what you choose to carry, I do advise seeking at least some rudimentary training in it's use prior to deciding to carry it for self-defense.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

sorry, accidental double-post.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Great discussion! Thanks for the info, I'm still on a learning curve about the OC etc....

that kimber system looks great. anyone use Fox pepper spray?

i do not, but my wife carries the kimber in her purse

If you've never used a chemical spray deterrent before, and choose not to read the directions, please be aware that when you do deploy the spray, it typically comes out in a stream or a spray cone dispersal. Most of the ones I have used are in a stream. Be sure of your target and what lies beyond your target (sound familiar?) because the spray is a liquid, and as such, it does spread out and spatter as it's used. It will hit the person in front of the stream, and anyone within a certain radius. When we use OC to break up fights or back off an aggressor at work (armed security at night clubs, concerts, and the like) we know we're not just going to hit the person we aim the can at, but the people surrounding him or her as well. It's just how the devicve works. Also be prepared to get a bit of it yourself. Never shoot a stream into a headwind or breeze. It WILL blow back on you. If you are facing into the wind, and have to use it anyway to fend off an attack, really let loose with the stuff. Just get as close as you can with it, and empty the can. You may get some, too, but you'll be sure that the attacker gets a lot more of it than you do. It may make it a little hard to see or breathe, but you can still run away.

Just a few random thoughts on using CS and OC chemical deterrents.
    Robert A. Heinlein