Thread: Best Home Defense Round

Best Home Defense Round

I just purchased a Remington 870 tactical 12 guage for home defense. I am somewhat new to shotguns and need to know what kind of shotgun ammo is best for home defense

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks, that helped alot

That all depends on where you live. If you live in a rural area than the classic 00 buck is your best bet. If you live in an urban setting maybe an apartment of town home than #6 bird shot would be my opinion. However, In both cases may I suggest that the round in your chamber be less lethal. If you have a bean bag or rubber bullets as your first shpt, in the case of a break in that requires you shooting there's less legal repercussions. Let's face it, chances are someone is never going to break into your house in the first place, although I commend you for being prepared, and even if they do, you're likely not to be home. Most often the only people that would break into your house while your there is an insane homeless person who is either lost or crazy or high. Now you don't really want to kill some crazy old homeless guy just for the sake of it. Assuming your not a psychopath path that likes killing people having a bean bag for the first shot is a great idea. Then after that if he's still coming at you, you can take him out in a more killy way. Or if someone is there to abduct you or something intense like that then maybe they'll think twice after one of them get's a rubber pellet in the face. If they're stupid enough to keep coming at you, real pellet in the face will be a surefire deterrent.

C-C, brother it seems you know little about home invasions here in the US. Home invasions are on the rise and happen hundreds of times a day here. These people have no interest in your life or well being. You never shoot to hurt or scare. You always shoot to stop the threat. My family and myself are too important to take any chance on dying due to a poor choice in home protection. Brother Im not trying to talk down to you or offend you but you if possible should come to the US and train in hand gun defense and take a basic shotgun class and you will then be very much more informed. You take no chances when protecting your loved ones ever. You have to be more violent then your attacker if you wish to survive. Also many times you are facing multiple attackers in these situations. Peace bro...
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Re: Best Home Defense Round

Not to mention that even if you are loaded with less lethal rounds, the moment a firearm enters the scenario it is legally presumed to be a deadly force encounter. If you read most state laws on this, theu are written in such a way as to what a reasonable man would presume to be the situation to be in the exact same scenario. Even if you are loaded with bean bag rounds, the bad guy, the cops, and the jury are all going to view it as a lethal force scenario.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Quote Originally Posted by Iwap_Evile View Post
    I just purchased a Remington 870 tactical 12 guage for home defense. I am somewhat new to shotguns and need to know what kind of shotgun ammo is best for home defense
    Bro, I have a 20ga. and myself, I use #3 buck. Slugs are always a good choice too. The #3 buck in 20ga. holds 20 pellets at about .22 cal. in size. They travel at 1350fps. Thats like letting loose with a full mag. of an AR with one pull of the trigger. Does the trick for me. Happy hunting for ammo.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager