Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best all round caliber

I'm a huge fan of .45 ACP and 12g.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Glasswolf, hey brother those 50BMG handguns are real? wow I really thought that the pics I saw were Judge pics that were photoshopped. Deffenetlly not a gun I want to shoot. Well everyone I stand corrected... and feel stupid. Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    There are actually quite a few different ".50 caliber" roounds on the market. .50cal only refers to the diameter of the bullet. It tells you nothing of the length of the bullet or cartridge, the amount or type of powder propelling it, etc. Think of it like saying "9mm" That can be anything from 9x19 (parabellum/Luger) to 9x18 (Makarov), 9x21, 9x23, 9x25, .38, .38special, etc... all of them are technically "9mm" in diameter.

An example of .50 cal handgun offerings include:
    .50 Action Express
    .50 GI
    .500 GNR
    .500 Maximum
    .500 S&W Magnum
    Ruger Bisley (.500 Linebaugh)
    Magnum Research BFR (.50 Beowulf)
    Freedom Arms Model 83 .500 WE (.500 Wyoming Express)
    Triple Action Thunder (.50 BMG) Yes there are .50BMG handguns, but they are rather impractical.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

nah don't feel dumb. It's really just a gun that was built to prove it could be done. It's not the sort of thing you walk into Bass Pro Shops and buy over the counter. They really do exist, but it's more of a novelty. The .500 S&W or even a .460 Rowland would be much more practical if you need something with a lot of power (ie, stopping a bear in the wild.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkiDguYtGw
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

nah don't feel dumb. It's really just a gun that was built to prove it could be done. It's not the sort of thing you walk into Bass Pro Shops and buy over the counter. They really do exist, but it's more of a novelty. The .500 S&W or even a .460 Rowland would be much more practical if you need something with a lot of power (ie, stopping a bear in the wild.)

I totally agree with you bud. But the .500 and.460 would end up being useless for me as I have a crippled up hand. I guess I'll just stay out of bear country. If a 40S&W or .45 won't stop it then I lose...unless I'm holding my shotty! LOL Peace bro. (I still can't get over that they really make those pistols)
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

yeah I have a friend who wants a 4" .500 S&W as his carry gun, but he's 6'1" and 285lbs (former boxer) so he can handle it. I'm a small guy with health problems myself, so I stick to a 9mm, and if I need more power, I'll go to an AR pistol or SBR.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

500 S&W mag
    .50 AE
    .50 BMG
    8 guage
    That's what I would really like, But here's mine that's m ore realistic

.44 mag
    45 ACP
    30-06 for bolt action and .30-30 for lever action
    12 guage

The reason i prefer the .45 ACP over the 9mm is that the permanent cavity may be the same but the in a human body the temperal cavity and internal shock wave is much bigger.

.44 mag will take out a bear just fine, 500 S&W is a novelty or an elephant gun, a good sidearm for when your running a .458 win

Quote Originally Posted by C-C View Post
    .44 mag will take out a bear just fine, 500 S&W is a novelty or an elephant gun, a good sidearm for when your running a .458 win
    Or you go bow hunting for a bear and need a sidearm for when you get treed.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

The reason i prefer the .45 ACP over the 9mm is that the permanent cavity may be the same but the in a human body the temperal cavity and internal shock wave is much bigger.
    Something to keep in mind...the 9mm may or may not expand in your target, but the .45 will never make a hole smaller than 11mm.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

That would be Boar hunting. Boar are pretty much small, living armored vehicles, particularly head-on.
    Robert A. Heinlein