Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best all round caliber

Revolver- 357 mag, It is extremely effective and you can load 38s in the same gun
    Semi auto pistol- Even though I hate to do it, I gotta say 9MM, it's ballistically acceptable, there's a lot of it, and prices are reasonable
    Rifle- 30-06, it has a wider variety of applications than the 308- 7.62 NATO, the only downfall is it requires a long action as compared to 308's short action.
    Shotgun- 12g for sure. Huge varieties of ammo for all applications and powerful enough to get the job done
    An effective militia is autorized and contemplated by the constitution and required
    by the spirit and safety of free government.
    James Madison

Revolver 357 Magnum-good velocity and energy and can shoot 38 specials at the range

Semi-auto pistol-10mm even though ammo can be expensive you can get get lighter loads that are reasonable and have lower recoil for practice but heavier loads are available that have better ballistics than the 357 magnum

Rifle-30-06 This is a very versatile round and very effective for anything native to this continent with the exception of a Grizzly or Alaskan Brown Bear(There might even be an argument there). It can be loaded with various amounts of power. Lighter loads for practice and heavier loads for hunting larger game. Even at 150 grains it would be effective for white tail deer. You can even buy the limited recoil for youths that are effective on larger game.

Shotgun- 12 gauge Versatile enough to use for bird hunting and trap shooting or use buckshot or slugs for hunting and home defense.

.44 Mag
    .50 BMG
    30-06
    16 gauge 00 buck 3 1/2 inch magnum

.357/38 enough said
    9mm is my personal opinion. i'm interested in 10mm though but have no experience with it yet.
    .308/7.62
    20 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by C-C View Post
    .44 Mag
    .50 BMG
    30-06
    16 gauge 00 buck 3 1/2 inch magnum
    you know the .50 bmg is a rifle round right?

Quote Originally Posted by michael101108 View Post
    you know the .50 bmg is a rifle round right?
    Incorrect, it is the round used in the magnum research Desert Eagle

Try again.

The .50BMG is strictly a rifle round since it's case is over 5.45 inches long. The .50AE is used in the Desert Eagle. For comparison, the .50AE is the fourth round from the left. The .50BMG is the one on the far right.

300221.jpg
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    Try again.

The .50BMG is strictly a rifle round since it's case is over 5.45 inches long. The .50AE is used in the Desert Eagle. For comparison, the .50AE is the fourth round from the left. The .50BMG is the one on the far right.

300221.jpg
    And people thought the S&W 500 had a kick to it, just try the .50BMG and what is left of your arm afterwards, Lol.

Bro the BMG stands for Browning machine gun. Not a pistol round by any means.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

There are actually quite a few different ".50 caliber" roounds on the market. .50cal only refers to the diameter of the bullet. It tells you nothing of the length of the bullet or cartridge, the amount or type of powder propelling it, etc. Think of it like saying "9mm" That can be anything from 9x19 (parabellum/Luger) to 9x18 (Makarov), 9x21, 9x23, 9x25, .38, .38special, etc... all of them are technically "9mm" in diameter.

An example of .50 cal handgun offerings include:
    .50 Action Express
    .50 GI
    .500 GNR
    .500 Maximum
    .500 S&W Magnum
    Ruger Bisley (.500 Linebaugh)
    Magnum Research BFR (.50 Beowulf)
    Freedom Arms Model 83 .500 WE (.500 Wyoming Express)
    Triple Action Thunder (.50 BMG) Yes there are .50BMG handguns, but they are rather impractical.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein