What are your opinions on the best "ALL PURPOSE" caliber for each of the following and why? By all purpose, I mean defensive and offensive (like hunting and long range)?

Revolver
Semi-Auto
Rifle
Shotgun

Personally, for a revolver, I think the .357 Magnum is the best all purpose round. Used by law enforcement for decades, we know it does well in defensive scenarios. It can be used to hunt with, so the offensive aspect is covered. Recoil is controllable, penetration is great, and .38 Special makes a great range round.

For semi-auto, I've got to go with the 10mm as it was originally envisioned and loaded to. I know ammo availability is a big detraction for it, but that is slowly changing. Great defensive round, and outside of a zoo, there's not much on this continent that you can't defend yourself from with a 10mm. Offensively, it is another round that can be used for hunting, and it was designed so that it's ballistics at 50 yards were better than a .45ACP at the muzzle.

For a rifle, I'd be hard pressed to find a better all purpose round than the .308/7.62 NATO. The ability to reach out and touch someone at several hundred yards while still being effective at close range, combined with ammo availability and choice makes this one hard to beat.

For a shotgun, I don't see how there can be any choice but the classic 12ga. The versatility of this round is unparalleled. I'm not even going to bother discussing the defensive aspects of this since they are so widely recognized.

What are your thoughts on this?