Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new weapon light

My new weapon light

Check out my new TLR-1 on my Sig P229.

very cool picture. How bright do these tactical add ons get?

Most rail mounted handgun tac lights are around 150-250 lumens. The one I use is 190 lumen, which is plenty bright. If you go too bright with it, the light can also mess up your own low light vision in a house, when going room to room with it. If you want something bright though, the hand held tac light "Streamlight ProTac HL-2" is 600 lumen, and it's the one I carry for non-rail mount light. very little spill, incredible throw, and strobe function.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Awesome the Streamlight ProTac HL-2 has great reviews all over the place! wish i had asked all these questions before christmas i hate to say it but the power went out about a month ago and we were one of those poor suckers using old dim candles and half dead walmart flashlights. I wont let that happen again, even though the power was out just from about 5PM to 2AM.. cant imagine what i would have done if it lasted more days than that.

Thanks for the specs on the lights!

The HL-2 at the 600 Lumen setting lights the underside of my Jeep when I do work on it, in broad daylight.. which is pretty amazing.. at the lower 200 lumen setting, it's a good light for night use in general. 600 is blinding when you're just looking under the bed for example. haha It's a good light, but has very little spill, so maybe not a good light for a "flashlight" sort of use.. very narrow, bright beam. you want a wider spill and maybe not so much throw for average "blackout" sort of lighting.. at least in my experience.

having a rail mounted tac light is good too though, as it leaves both hands free to work the gun for both shooting and mag changes, opening doors, etc.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

The surefire X300Ultra hits 500 lumens. check it out as an alternative. LA Police Gear and Botach have them at $209

I think I paid $60 for the HL-2, but there are some out now rated for 750 lumen, if all you want is uber-bright and long throw.. You have to look at throw versus spill, and battery life, as well as the cost/type of batteries the light uses, plus price tag when looking for a tac light. Size may matter, too depending on it's intended purpose. In my case, I wanted something really bright because I have no night vision anyway, and I wanted something with strobe effect. My friend got me the HL-2 from his work, and it's been a good light. By no means did I intend to push it as the best for everything, though.
    Robert A. Heinlein

seems like we're getting off course. the thread was about a new weapons lights, and folks are talking about regular flashlights. The surefire X300Ultra is an alternative option to the streamlight TLR-1 that's in the original post.

I have a Nebo Protec rail mount light. It was cheap, about $30 if I recall? 190 lumen, strobe, tool-less QD mount, and has a breeching-style front ring that has some pretty sharp "teeth" if you have to use it to jab someone at extreme close quarters. Runs on a single CR123A. Not bad if you need something cheap. Amazon has 'em.

http://www.amazon.com/Nebo-5569-ProT...utac+tac+light

compact one for smaller guns here:

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flash...utac+tac+light
    Robert A. Heinlein

I am updating www.armormyexpressletoutlet.com for flashlights, the Feneix side , two more days of work. Fenix has some cool new lights.