Thread: Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine law

Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine law

Maybe Tom can interview a judge or a defense lawyer that can expound on the subject more deeply. There so many different opinions floating around regarding the subject and maybe its time to educate many of us CCW/CWP holders on what really this piece of legislation mean and how does it affect us in our decision to carry and has the potential of someday maybe put on a situation where we would use this defensive weapon for saving our lives or our loved ones. It just sudden me sometimes that the media ( the anti-gun media) is flooding the society with mis-information regarding this law. And if you ask the average person on what this law is all about they would immidiately say...oh its a bad law it should be repealed. This is because there is not enough videos properly explaining it, and most videos you will find here on youtube about the subject talks about it as a bad law. So i hope Tom can jump on in and and maybe give some justice to why this law is essential components of our second amendment rights. Thanks
    Beati pacifici

Here's your problem about that. Stand your ground laws are state laws. They will differ from state to state. This is just my opinion but the bad knock on stand your ground comes from lawyers who try to expand its meaning to cover their clients actions and the resulting news coverage of some very rediculous cases. It is very easy to check the laws in your state and everyone should do just that. If you travel to other states while carrying you should also check their laws on concealed carry. It is not enough to just check to see if your cc permit is honored.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadAl View Post
    It is very easy to check the laws in your state and everyone should do just that. If you travel to other states while carrying you should also check their laws on concealed carry. It is not enough to just check to see if your cc permit is honored.
    Good point.

When we were in our class they pretty much told us that if you want to carry in another state you'd better know their laws. If you don't have the time to know their laws then it's probably best you don't CC in that state. Think of all the problems you may end up having if your gun on you has more than 7 rounds in New York.

While it's somewhat crazy that the laws vary so much from state to state, I think I would rather have the states decide instead of the Feds. IMO gun laws are none of the Feds business and the states should decide.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.