Thread: Solid budget rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Solid budget rifle

Sitrep:

I am a broke 19 year old with a love of guns and hunting. The issue I'm having is that I need a rifle that uses a common caliber (I was thinking .308 or .223), an affordable caliber, semi-automatic (if possible), and is less than $600 (new if possible). I'd rather have a rifle that I can hunt deer with, but a target rifle is fine too. I understand that deer can be hunted using a shotgun with 00-buck, I just like rifles better. Anybody have a recommendation based on personal experience?

Thanks, Cersox

P.S.

If it can double as home defense\shtf, you get bonus points.
    Last edited by Cersox; 10-13-2012 at 11:20 PM.

30-30 lever action rifle. I got my Marlin 336BL for under $550. Ammo is very available, probably killed more deer than any other caliber with the possible exception of the 30-06, reliable platform that has worked for over 100 years, not as expensive as the "black assault rifles" and is legal in just about every jurisdiction because it doesn't have the negative connotations associated with it. Plus as a SHTF/defense weapon, you can top off your magazine while shooting. Since you're under 21, you probably should avoid the pistol calibers since you can't buy ammo for them yet.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

Mosin Nagant 91/30 with the brassstacker scope mount, a long-eye relief scout scope, a bent bolt (not from ATI) try http://www.ebay.com/itm/330755548300...84.m1439.l2649 for $30 including shipping, and soft point boat tail 7.62x54r rounds from PPU. Total cost about $250 plus ammo. Check out youtube.com/neverenuffammo for other tips for a scout mosin nagant.

The Russian SKS is the best rifle for your situation. It's chambered in 7.62x39 which is a great deer rifle out to 200 yards plus depending on shot placement. It's semi automatic with a 10 round detachable box magazine. You can feed the firearm from the top with stripper clips or through the detachable box magazine. They also sell 30 round magazines for it. It's essentially like a longer AR. The best part of this firearm is that it's not imposing. In a SHTF situation you'll just look like some poor yutz who brought his hunting rifle to face off with MR tactical with his 3000 dollar AR or AK. When in fact, the SKS is almost the same. Another great thing is that the ammo for SKS is so cheap it's ridiculous. This rifle is so tough you could run super cheap ammo through with no jams. and by cheap I'm talking a box of 20 for 7 bucks. That's nearly as cheap as .22LR to shoot. Also, if you ever switch to a nice expensive Ak-47, it shoots the 7.62x39 as well. The real kicker is that this gun can be yours, surplus for under 500 dollars.

SKS all the way with those requirements.