Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig M11-A1

Cool Sig M11-A1

From what I can tel this Sig is acctually a P228 which was made in Germany and I thought was out of production. Any thoughts? I really love this gun and hope to get one some day. If your educated in these fine handguns could you help me out? Thanks to all that reply, Gunnr
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

It is the P228 it was replaced with the P229, but some people still prefer the P228, like the MK25 the P228 was military issue. I think the new ones are going to be manufactured in the USA, not sure of the difference between the P228 and the P229, but you can view both spec's on the Sig web site.

P228 has a stamped & folded carbon steel slide, with a pinned breech block. Also has full-height slide serrations. The P229 has a milled stainless steel slide with half-height slide serrations. P228 has an internal extractor and the P229 has an external extractor. The P229 is about 1.5oz heavier due to the stainless slide. The P228 is 9mm only whilst the P229 is available in 40 and 357, the new M11-A1's are built on a P229 lower with the stamped steel slide. Apparently they have never stopped producing these guns just stopped selling to the general public.

The new sig m-11 a1 has the milled stainless steel slide like the 229 and is the same weight. It is similar to the military issue other then it has the stainless steel slide and the short reset trigger. I want one very bad

Youre not the only one bro. Ever since seeing one on Sigs website Ive been waiting. Grabagun.com website has them on backorder so Im biding my time just waiting for the word that they're in.
    Last edited by Gunnr; 10-14-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me, the P228 has a mild steel folded slide manufactured in Germany which was its biggest feature, the P229 was introduce with a milled stainless slide to allow it to utilize the 40sw, if the M11 is coming with a milled slide whats the difference between it and a P229? well apart form the $200-$300 and a coating which if its like the MK25 will come off due to the tight fit on sigs.

The profile is a bit different it has a round trigger guard shoots 9mm and comes with3 15round mags. It is also mil spec and treated like the MK25 to handle salt water. I dunno I just like it. Its less boxy then the 229 and almost as sexy as a handcrafted 1911.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

I understand, I got the MK25, but on reflection I don't think it was a great deal better than say a Elite, or Dark Elite for similar money. The problem with the treatment is sigs are built so tight that even a few microns of coating make a difference, the treatment on the barrel hood and some internal surfaces starts to wear off after a few shots. I called sig on this and asked why coat the internals with a treatment that wears off, and their answer was it just does. Personally I don't like the look of the cosmetic wear and don't understand why you would coat something knowing it came off in certain parts almost immediately. Seams redundant to me. I just think the reason a P228 was popular was the mild steel slide, the reason the P229 was introduced was the heavier stainless slide to take 40sw so don't really know what the M11 is, appears to be an expensive hybrid, but hey each their own and if you like it and feel its for you go for it, I pick most of my guns because I like them not because of specifications so I know where you're coming from. Post pics when you get her.

Yeah Gunnr, if you decide to get one I would love to see it! I have a p229 40 that I love! I will be ordering the e2 grips, srt kit, and short trigger in the next couple of weeks!! I hope to be getting a p239 sas genII by the first of the year. I have shot a lot of different guns, but Sigs just do it for me!!!

I hear ya guys. Right now my EDC is a S&W but Im a Sig guy at heart. (Maybe its because Im German)...My moms an immigrant. But they just move me. Sig will some day be the staple of my gun collection. Hoping to get the M11-1A some time in the new year, but I'll keep yall updated in case its sooner. Peace guys...
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director