Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading

I primarily load .44. Looking at a retail box of 50 for $30-$40.

I can get a box of 100 Hornady XTP for about $23. (or straight lead SWC - 200 qty for about $26) $4 for primers and a few pennies for powder. I already have many, many hundreds of rounds of brass already purchased and reused so I figure I'm saving 50%.

In addition I know my quality control is 100% and my rounds can be customized to what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tux View Post
    I primarily load .44. Looking at a retail box of 50 for $30-$40.

I can get a box of 100 Hornady XTP for about $23. (or straight lead SWC - 200 qty for about $26) $4 for primers and a few pennies for powder. I already have many, many hundreds of rounds of brass already purchased and reused so I figure I'm saving 50%.

In addition I know my quality control is 100% and my rounds can be customized to what I want.
    To be accurate you need to ad in the price of brass.Even if its your saved up cases,you still paid for them when you bought the loaded ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldstone View Post
    To be accurate you need to ad in the price of brass.Even if its your saved up cases,you still paid for them when you bought the loaded ammo.
    But every time you shoot, that cost becomes less and less. It would be like counting the cost of my 3/8" wrench in the cost an oil change. After a while the cost is negligible.

$30 for the first bag of 100. It becomes $15 for the second reload $7 on the next. Let alone any preloaded brass you reclaim from previous retail purchases, plus any range brass one may collect, or brass one gets for free from buddies who don't reload.

Sorry in my case, I've got nearly 1000 pieces of empty .44 brass. At this point it is down to pennies.

YMMV
    Last edited by Tux; 11-30-2012 at 06:49 PM.

But every time you shoot, that cost becomes less and less. It would be like counting the cost of my 3/8" wrench in the cost an oil change. After a while the cost is negligible.

$30 for the first bag of 100. It becomes $15 for the second reload $7 on the next. Let alone any preloaded brass you reclaim from previous retail purchases, plus any range brass one may collect, or brass one gets for free from buddies who don't reload.

Sorry in my case, I've got nearly 1000 pieces of empty .44 brass. At this point it is down to pennies.

YMMV
    I realize that but it still costs and needs to be added in.Everyone likes to fool themselves into thinking theyre saving a ton of money by reloading but its just not the way it is if all factors are included.

I realize that but it still costs and needs to be added in.Everyone likes to fool themselves into thinking theyre saving a ton of money by reloading but its just not the way it is if all factors are included.
    Or you can troll your local gun range and pick up brass from people that don't reload.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

I'm not fooling myself at all.

$26 for cheap 240G .44 SWC box of 50 rounds at http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

A box of 200 240G .44 SWC bullets for $27 at http://www.midwayusa.com

$6.75 per 50 for the bullets, $1.60 for 50 primers maybe $3.00 in brass as I have so much, $1.00 in powder. I can load very comparable ammo for about $12.35 now vs. $26.

Even if I used brand new brass at $30 for 100 units (so $15 for 50 units), that would be $24 and I'm still ahead of the game. The next time I reload that $24 now becomes $17.

It can certainly depend on caliber, suppliers, etc, but in my case with .44 ammo I easily save 50%.
    Last edited by Tux; 12-01-2012 at 10:20 AM.

I'm not fooling myself at all.

$26 for cheap 240G .44 SWC box of 50 rounds at http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

A box of 200 240G .44 SWC bullets for $27 at http://www.midwayusa.com

$6.75 per 50 for the bullets, $1.60 for 50 primers maybe $3.00 in brass as I have so much, $1.00 in powder. I can load very comparable ammo for about $12.35 now vs. $26.

Even if I used brand new brass at $30 for 100 units (so $15 for 50 units), that would be $24 and I'm still ahead of the game. The next time I reload that $24 now becomes $17.

It can certainly depend on caliber, suppliers, etc, but in my case with .44 ammo I easily save 50%.

Just wondering, I don't reload but, how often do you or should you reuse the brass?

Quote Originally Posted by MP Gunther View Post
    Just wondering, I don't reload but, how often do you or should you reuse the brass?
    Depends on what you do with it.

Some of the high pressure +P .44 magnum loads I'll only reload 2-3 times....maybe four times.

On the lower pressure .44 special brass I can easily get 7-10 times. You just have to really inspect your brass for sizing, cracking, primer pocket getting loose, etc. After a while you get the feel for how it looks, feels and behaves.

Revolver ammo is more forgiving than auto loaders, from my experience.

You don't save anybody. If you get into reloading thinking you save money you wrong.
    What you do get is a whole lot more soothing for same money.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyr121 View Post
    After the initial costs, is reloading worth it?
    Discuss where you buy brass, powder, primers and bullets.
    Question:
    Use new or once fired brass.
    How to tumble brass and get shiny brass. What your method.
    Tumbling? Wet or Dry.

Let's hear from you.
    I save around 50% over factory, and my reloads are more accurate.
    I buy brass and bullets at my LGS. I also cast
    Usually, once fired brass
    I tumble with corncob media, dry of course. I add Nu Finish polish to the media to get my brass shinny.