Thread: How many rounds for self defense?

How many rounds for self defense?

I posted a blog article you guys might find interesting. It addresses the issue of "how many rounds do I need in a defensive pistol?" question.

http://militaryarms.blogspot.com/201...-averages.html

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Re: How many rounds for self defense?

Good points. I've never met anybody that survived a gun fight who thought they had too much ammo.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

15+1 is good for me.
    "There's Always Hope"

Home and personal defense I would say anything over 16 is over kill (unless you fallow the 3 shot per target rule like I do two center of mass and one head shot), in a war zone you can never have enough ammo.
    "Would you rather be tried by 12 or buried by 6 when it comes to defending your self?"

I feel it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. So with that said I would think enough would be as much as you can carry concealed.
    Walther PPQ 9mm German
    HK 45 V7 Light LEM German
    Sig P226 9mm W/German JJ
    Sig P232 380 acp Stainless German
    S&W 586 4" 357 Magnum Factory Nickel

I think a 30 round Glock mag may be overkill, however I've heard many stories about when the adrenalin is flowing there have been as many as 90 shots fired by good and bad guys and nobody was hit! Bottom line I think a a few more rounds then what a revolver has to offer is not a bad thing

The more the better, really. It's just a matter of balancing weight/bulk against concealment and comfort. Carry what you're comfortable with wearing daily, every time, all the time. If it's bulky or heavy, and you only wear your gun occasionally as a result, then you have a problem. You need a gun that will inspire you to carry it at all times, if you want the best probability of surviving an encounter where you'd need it.

I carry a 9mm for EDC with either a 15 round, or extended 17 round magazine. If I have spare mags, too, I carry two more 15 round mags, all with 147 grain Speer gold dots, all fully loaded.

When I worked armed security and exec protection full time, I typically carried a Sig P226 with a 20 round mag, and two more 15 round mags at a minimum. Now for work, I use at least a 9mm handgun with a 15 round mag, two to four spares, and a DPMS Kitty Kat 7" AR with 4 spare 32 round mags. That's sufficient for anything from a lone shooter, to multiple drive-by shootings, where the ned for barrier penetration and multiple shot placement on multiple targets may be required.

It really depends on what you need, where you plan to go, what you plan to wear, and so forth. Take the right tools for the situation.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Just enough to stop a threat +1 just in case...LOL
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

I think what ever gun you feel most comfortable carrying and shoot the best, is how many rounds you should have. Doesn't matter how many you have if you cant hit what your shooting at! I try to carry an extra mag with me, but it all depends on what pants I am wearing. Sometimes I carry it in my change pocket or what ever its called on a pair of jeans.