Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: expandable/collapsible batons

expandable/collapsible batons

anyone carry or use one of these? If so, what length do you prefer? what type? (friction, cam lock, side-handle, etc) have you taken any courses in their use?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

expandable/collapsible batons

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    anyone carry or use one of these? If so, what length do you prefer? what type? (friction, cam lock, side-handle, etc) have you taken any courses in their use?
    A lot of people carry a blackjack. They are less than lethal, but can be very lethal if striking someone in the head.

Blackjacks are nice because they are collapsible, but be careful as they are illegal in some states.
    Weapons Education Moderator - If you have any suggestions to make these forums better use the contact us link at the bottom of any page.

Depending upon what I'm doing that day, I may carry one to use on vicious dogs in the area. In that case, it is an ASP 16" with cam lock, but I still prefer the 21" friction lock (less that can go wrong). As far as training goes, I've had several courses from various security and law enforcement jobs.

The problem with a sap is it's range. a baton gives you an additional extension of your strike zone, and an increase in striking power. It also allows you to use the tool as a defensive weapon, and not just for striking, but also blocking.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Would you think that an ASP baton (16inch) could effectively stave off an attack by a Pitbull terrier? I was out running once and was attacked by this type of dog...I held him at bay until his irresponsible owner finally called him off (I only had a thin stainless steel flashlight a foot and a half in length--and it bent) An ASP is much thicker construction but these types of dogs are very tenacious...would it be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by kingoftow View Post
    Would you think that an ASP baton (16inch) could effectively stave off an attack by a Pitbull terrier? I was out running once and was attacked by this type of dog...I held him at bay until his irresponsible owner finally called him off (I only had a thin stainless steel flashlight a foot and a half in length--and it bent) An ASP is much thicker construction but these types of dogs are very tenacious...would it be enough?
    Maybe, but I've never had to find out yet (thankfully).
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

My personal thoughts? I prefer to carry the 21". Anything smaller/shorter than that isn't nearly as effective a weapon due to the smaller circle of attack, and the deminished force at the tip when it's swung.
    A 21" could hold off a Pitbull, sure, if you snap the baton open, and shove it down the dog's throat till you hit jaw with your hand.
    It's brutal, but it's effective. Without aid of a baton, I was taught from an early age by a former SpecOps gentleman that the best way to stop an attacking dog is to shove your fist down it's throat, and tear off it's jaw.

Mind you, I love animals, and I personally run a cat rescue/sanctuary for ferals/strays, and I've had a dog my entire life up until two years ago when my last dog passed away. I don't condone animal cruelty in any form. I do however, believe in protectinbg my life by any means at my disposal.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Wow glasswolf...sounds messy but in a life and death situation you do what have to...

I used to work with big cats (panthers and tigers), and we used a 16" baton for what we called a "bite-stick". I never had to use it, the intent was to use it to pry open jaws if bitten...or to push into the jaws (sideways) to let them bite on the metal baton instead of our arm.

I've never carried one in the wild where 2-legged predators roam. My 9mm provides more comfort then.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I used to work with big cats (panthers and tigers), and we used a 16" baton for what we called a "bite-stick". I never had to use it, the intent was to use it to pry open jaws if bitten...or to push into the jaws (sideways) to let them bite on the metal baton instead of our arm.

I've never carried one in the wild where 2-legged predators roam. My 9mm provides more comfort then.
    Firstly, I'm jealous. I'm a "feline-ophile" and love working with cats. That said, for cats alone, the 16" may have been really handy, not needing the extra length. The 21" for melee combat though, is helpful for the extra reach and leverage as wellas momentum. Our guys typiucally use 21, 22, or 26-inch expanding batons at work.
    I carry a baton with me (21") as a means of less than lethal defense as a force multiplier, and for extreme CQC. Sometimes a gun just isn't thge best weapon to have if you're attacked by one or more people too close to allow for a clean draw. Instead of being disarmed or controlled by the opponent, the baton can be a great weapon both open, and closed. The edge of the baton's cap can be used to concentrate impact pressure to nerve centers and muscle targets, to the side of the head, etc, while extended, it can be used for a variety of things from the typical swinging strike, to bars used to lever an opponent into submission while on your back in a ground and pound.
    Either way, it's an option that may work in your favor it you don't necessarily want to kill the opponent, but you need an advantage in a confrontation. In court, it could save you from the "why didn't you try something other than just shooting him?" questions. It's a handy tool.. really that's all it boils down to.

One warrior, any weapon.
    Robert A. Heinlein