Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm or 40 S&W

Whatever you are more comfortable and confident in should be your choice

I shoot 40S&W just because. I like it and I hit where I aim. Recovery is not a problem for me. Its called practice and that I do. There isnt any +p or +p+ ammo because 40S&W is considered a high pressure round. I dont know why but thats what the manufacturers seem to say. It dosent matter to me It shoots good and with proper placement it does what it should. I still like 9mm and even 22 cal dosent really matter just that my guns are 40cal right now.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

.40 just doesn't offer anything over 9mm, honestly.. except a lower magazine capacity.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    .40 just doesn't offer anything over 9mm, honestly.. except a lower magazine capacity.
    There's a reason it's referred to as "40 Short and Weak".

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    There's a reason it's referred to as "40 Short and Weak".
    Ignorance? (no offense) There's little to no difference between anything from 9mm through 10mm, including .40 and .45ACP in statistical data when it comes to SD rounds and "stopping power." The .40S&W is a compromise round. It's the worst of everything tied into one round. It doesn't have the magazine capacity of a 9mm, and it lacks the expansion and penetration of larger rounds like the 10mm. That saying of yours was in reference to 9mm ball ammo, over twenty years ago, before the plethora high pressure, high expansion self defense rounds available today.
    Last edited by GlassWolf; 10-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by CTgunguy View Post
    Whatever you are more comfortable and confident in should be your choice

9mm and .40s&w are good where you like to shoot

Ditto on the shot placement, that's the most important and what YOU feel most comfortable with. Until I got older and couldn't see worth a sh!t anymore I realize how important placement is.

Ignorance? (no offense) There's little to no difference between anything from 9mm through 10mm, including .40 and .45ACP in statistical data when it comes to SD rounds and "stopping power." The .40S&W is a compromise round. It's the worst of everything tied into one round. It doesn't have the magazine capacity of a 9mm, and it lacks the expansion and penetration of larger rounds like the 10mm. That saying of yours was in reference to 9mm ball ammo, over twenty years ago, before the plethora high pressure, high expansion self defense rounds available today.
    None taken, and I'm not disagreeing with you. But there is a difference between the calibers and their "stopping power" in the real world, even with the best shot placement. If there wasn't, a 9mm would be all you would need to defend yourself against a bear (for example).
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

by that logic we should all get rid of our even smaller capacity .45"s

Quote Originally Posted by milesman View Post
    by that logic we should all get rid of our even smaller capacity .45"s
    Most likely, yes, considering the .45ACP is a subsonic round with less than stellar penetration characteristics, and the 1911 is a fairly unreliable gun in general compared to say, a Glock (Lord help me for having to say that.) That said, I do love my old Gov't 1911a1. I just don't EDC it.

Quote Originally Posted by norahc View Post
    None taken, and I'm not disagreeing with you. But there is a difference between the calibers and their "stopping power" in the real world, even with the best shot placement. If there wasn't, a 9mm would be all you would need to defend yourself against a bear (for example).
    Truth be told, I actually know of a guy who killed a black bear with a .380 auto, but that said, I'd rather have a rifle round, like a 45-70 or a .458 against a bear. Forget handguns. The difference between any handgun caliber, and the range of velocities for rifles, is equated in magnitudes. Anyway, I enjoy shooting a .40, and even a 10mm, but for an SD gun, I just don't see a need for more than 9mm. Shot placement is important, but nothing is "the most important factor." As Massad Ayoob once said, "Nothing is everything, but everything is something." In real world compiled data on gun caliber versus one shot stops, there's strong evidence to suggest that the caliber of the round isn't a big factor if you're using at least a 9mm hollow point or larger.
    Robert A. Heinlein