Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm or 40 S&W

9mm or 40 S&W

I have 8 9mm pistols and have sold all my 40's. After much reading I came to the opinion that stopping an individual with a handgun is more about shot placement then the size of the bullet. However, when I look at the FBI and most police departments they have chosen to issue 40's. So, I am thinking about getting another 40 and practice with it more so I can shoot it as well as I shoot the 9mm. I am looking for opinions on carrying the 40 instead of the 9mm. Does is really offer any advantage.

The differences between handgun rounds from 9mm through 45 caliber in regards to ballistics (stopping power, penetration, expansion, etc) are minimal at best. A 9mm will stop stop someone just as well as a .45ACP with proper shot placement, and with good ammunition, penetration isn't an issue either. Penetration is more important than expansion, as well. I'd rather have the increase in magazine capacity, which is why I stick with 9mm over .40S&W. Compare two of the exact same round (eg, Federal SXT hollow points) in 9mm and .40S&W, and you'll see that the differences are minimal.

The 9mm will also allow you to recover more quickly and re-acquire a sight picture for a second strike capability more quickly than a round that will have more recoil in a similar handgun, and I'd prefer, myself, to be able to hit multiple targets, or the same target multiple times, accurately and more quickly.

just my two cents
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I like 40 a lot. Recoil does not bother me. However, I shoot 9 a lot more, because it is so much cheaper! Shot placement is definitely key!

I would go .40!!! I got rid of all my 9mm guns and the smallest cal i have now is 40 witch is what i use for training!!!

Well said. I agree completely.

I prefer the 9mm over the 40 s&w because the recoil and follow-up shots are much better. You can use different kinds of self-defense ammo too. I get tired of people bashing the 9mm as it is a great round.

I think we all get caught up on the caliber issue, personally I feel it's what you shoot best and what you have at the time, I feel comfortable carrying my G23 but its not easy to conceal in hot summers so I carry my LC9 which I also feel comfortable with, the advancement in bullets reduce the difference between calibers.

.40 may be an ever so slightly larger (compromise) round, but keep in mind, there is no standard for +P or +P+ in .40S&W, while there is for 9mm.

just sayin'
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I think it would depend on what your more accurate and comfortable with because you can stop some one with a .22 with proper shot placement. Personally I'm comfortable with my .45 cause it's what I feel puts a nice punch on something where as my father likes his .9 over my .45. One other factor that might be a good thing to look into would be the temporary cavity with your choice of ammo and caliber.
    "Would you rather be tried by 12 or buried by 6 when it comes to defending your self?"

I believe in shot placement also. I feel comfortable with carrying all of the hanguns I own. (see below) I own 380 acp, 9mm, 45 acp, 38 special, 357 magnum, and 22 lr.
    Walther PPQ 9mm German
    HK 45 V7 Light LEM German
    Sig P226 9mm W/German JJ
    Sig P232 380 acp Stainless German
    S&W 586 4" 357 Magnum Factory Nickel