Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm or 40 S&W

I agree with MJ45. A lot of people i know always suggest that .40 sw kick bothers them so much reason for them not carrying the round. As for me I dont think its much different, I practiced with my M&P 40 FS alot that I cant really tell anymore the difference between a 9mm or a .40 even a .45. Now when I take out my big guns (454cassuls, the 44magnum, 50ae) yes the recoil is noticable not on a .40, at least not for me. A gun shop owner once trying to convince me to purchase the M&P Shield 9 instead of the .40 which at the time they do not have on stock said that if me and him pointed the gun at each other he would have faster recover on target time than I would. Responded to him that if ever such scenario would take place , I will very much make sure that his second shot would not be taking place, that is ofcourse if he didn 't put me down first. After that he tok my name and put me on the wating list for the first shipment of the M&P 40.
    Beati pacifici

decreased magazine capacity
    increased wear on the gun from a high pressure load
    negligible difference in terminal ballistics

The .40 caliber round is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's a compromise round that's the worst of everything between a 9mm and a .45ACP

I see a lot of people here trying to argue the points others are making in favor of the 9mm, yet I see nobody offering real, tangible benefits of a .40S&W over other rounds.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Love the 9mm. Have 3, got rid of my 357 sig and my 45acp.

You know, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it! I rotate all of mine in usage from my TPH to the 45C. My 9 is a sub-compact XD and my 40's a P2000. I think they are both good rounds but for me mag capacity is important but I'd rather carry the 40 myself. I don't see enough difference when your going for center mass.

I'll concede that depending on the situation, sometimes shouting a warning like STOP! may be enough as you draw the weapon. In my home? no. I'd probably shoot. In a parking lot approaching my car? OK, I can see it.

This lady in her video backs your case:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mFn...&feature=share
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

The YankeeMarshall also comments on the "if I draw, I'm going to shoot" mentality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4voxtmsu9o

I guess my biggest issue is the belief that if you are going to draw, you are ALWAYS going to shoot. That mentality can land you in court and jail. Each situation is different, so our actions must be tailored to meet the circumstances of the current situation. The always and never mentality will get you in trouble, guaranteed.

Agreed, we've wandered way off topic. Maybe one of the mods can split these posts out into their own thread, since it seems like a worthwhile discussion.
    Last edited by norahc; 10-22-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

I prefer 9mm over 40SW or 45ACP because it is very shootable and the ammo these days are great.

.40 S&W brings nothing to the table in terms of benefits vs. what's already on the market.

Some claim the .40 is a good "compromise" round. However it has neither the capacity of the 9mm nor the power of the .45 and it offers absolutely nothing in terms of improved terminal ballistics when compared to the both the 9mm and .45 ACP. The only thing the .40 adds to the mix is more recoil than both the 9mm and .45 ACP.

The .40 is a high pressure round that not only offers increased recoil but it also brings with it increased wear on the firearm that chambers it.

The .40 came about because of a knee-jerk reaction by the FBI to the Dade County shootout. There was a race to blame something other than the performance of the agents involved. That blame fell on the 9mm. As it turns out neither the .45 ACP or .40 S&W would have done any better assuming shots were placed exactly the same.

Since the FBI blamed the caliber, they had to find something different. They couldn't have picked the .45 ACP because they had already turned it down. So they looked to the new wildcat 10mm cartridge. They quickly adopted it after S&W offered them a chopped down 1006 handgun (1076). The Norma loads of the day were stout, very stout. The 10mm was too much to handle for many agents, so they FBI came up with the infamous "FBI load" which reduced the powder charge. S&W took note, reduced the case volume by trimming the case length and the .40 S&W was born - a neutered 10mm.

When the FBI does something, everyone seems to follow. Most police agencies mimic the FBI and many citizens mimic the police. What these agencies do is viewed to be cool and cutting edge so people tend to do what they do. When the FBI adopted the 10mm manufacturers couldn't keep up with the demand for new 10mm pistols. People were jumping on the 10mm bandwagon in droves. When the FBI dumped the 10mm and went to the .40 S&W, everyone dumped their 10mm's and adopted the .40.

So when the FBI dumped the 10mm and moved to the .40, the 10mm's fate was sealed. Demand for the cartridge ceased and most manufacturers stopped producing pistols in the chambering. Used 10mm's clogged the used gun racks at gun shops as people flocked to trade them in on .40's. It darn near killed the 10mm, which to me is the superior caliber that actually offers something 9mm and .45 ACP don't. But that's another discussion.

If the FBI dumped the .40 tomorrow and adopted the .357 SIG, you would see the exact same thing happen. The FBI followers would dump their .40's and adopt the .357 SIG.

I never jumped on the .40 bandwagon because I knew back then what was happening. I wasn't going to follow the masses in their race to adopt the .40 as I saw no advantage to it. Not to mention, the most unreliable versions of popular designs tend to be the .40 caliber versions -- take Glock as an example. The most problematic Glocks are the .40's including being the most likely to have the infamous "Kaboom" issue due to the unsupported chamber and high pressure of the round.

I'm a 9mm carry gun kind of guy and a .45 ACP for fun kind of guy. I have exactly zero .40's in my collection.

Very good post and it gives me some facts to help make caliber decisions not just views and personal preference............

Well if it ever comes down to it and everyone and their brother has bought and used up the available 9mm Im sure I'll be able to find the hated 40S&W to feed my gun.... LOL Now boys dont get your panties in a bunch Its all in jest. Happy hunting.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager