Thread: Gun Safe

Gun Safe

Where is a good place to look for a good sized gun safe at a decent price? What is a good brand and what is a best size to get for an initial safe?

There are a lot of choices on safes depending on fire rating and so on...I picked-up a Sentry Safe for cheap at Costco and it serves my needs and a friend picked one up at Harbor Freight for r e a l cheap and low quality!
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Talk to a professional who sells safes, or check Youtube for videos that talk about what to look for. Be ready to spend good money on a decent safe.. Typically $1,000+ for a good fire resistant gun safe. More, as you go bigger and higher quality. Also try to go with one made here in the USA, and not a cheaper Chinese safe. They cut a lot of corners to save money.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I think for someone to recommend you a safe, they would need to know a little background information ie. Are there children in the home? How many guns do you plan to store in the safe? What is the total value of the guns in the safe?

For me, the answer is: I have no children and I only own one gun, Glock 23 Gen 4. I do not carry it on my except when going to the range so I just want a simple safe which would make it a harder to steal my gun so a thief would probably just pass so as not to take too much time. For me, the $1,000 safe would be over kill since the safe costs approx twice the value of the gun. If owned numerous guns and the value was approaching $10,000 which is the case for many people I know, I would probably be considering the $1,000 safe as the bare minimum.

total value and number of kids has no bearing in my book. You're securing deadly weapons from theft, so by definition, it should stop any child as well as a thief. What you really need to do is talk to a professional about features and quality in safe designs. Decide how much you can afford, and as noted, the amount of storage/capacity required, then figure out where you plan to put the safe, if the location is a good one for securing a safe, and if the location can structurally support the weight of a safe. Make sure the company that delivers the safe does it in an unmarked truck with an unmarked delivery box, notify your insurance company, etc.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

it's a lot like a garage.go bigger than what you want right now.
    you never hear anyone say..."oh I wish I had a smaller garage"
    believe me it will fill up fast!
    When America is Disarmed,there will be no more America

Thanks for the responses.

I ordered a Revolution 18 Liberty safe from a local safe and lock company. Apparently, Liberty is so busy they are back ordered 6 to 8 weeks. I think it will have plenty of space to grow into and there is enough space in the room to add another one if I really needed it.

While that is quite a while to wait, I'm happy with the choice and look forward to receiving it.