Thread: Open Carry law in Florida

Open Carry law in Florida

Just wanted to know what is going on with the open carry law proposed here in my state of Florida? I know a couple of years back it was defeated in the state senate and I heard that some politician will give it another try really soon. Just wondering whats new if there is any. And also wanted to know what many of us here think wether carrying is a better option compared to cocealed carry?
    Beati pacifici

Open carry in Colorado is cool, here in FL it would be a disaster. Too many idiots, hate to say...can you imagine the beach with open carry? Or Miami?!?!?! I hope we keep it concealed here for the time being.

Hi tacdaddy, i see your point regarding many idiots here in the sofla area. But wouldnt you think it would better discourage them from doing such stupid activities if they know there are also gun carrying normal citizens all around them that could/ would potentially act accordingly if they carry on with such brasive stupid act? Just my opinion; i believe that if these criminals knew and see that people around them carries gun that could potentially also shoot back at them they more than likely take their criminal activities somewhere where they could be more sucessful without the potential of harm to themselves. I mean reason why these people chooses criminality as a way of life is because they are lazy and wants something quick without a whole lot of work involve, and in their activity intimidation is the key. Having many open carriers around would certainly discourage that intimidation factor. Imagine a bad guy carrying a 9mm pistol ( most common round choice) and some armed citizen carrying a larger bigger, more powerful round pistol, or even if that bad guy carried a larger round or even a machine gun, if there are 10, 20, 30 individual carrying their own firearm the desire to shoot it out with many people would really be the last in that bad guys mind in my opinion. As human beings (even crazy ones) we are afraid to get hurt and that alone makes it worth in my opinion to open carry.
    Beati pacifici

By the way what happened in Aurora is one of the best example of why its bad to have gun free zones. Unarmed targets are attacked without opposition. And this is bad because according to you Colorado has a cool open carry policy.
    Beati pacifici

We have an open carry law here in Arizona but, surprisingly you don't see a lot of "open carry" and I definitely think it is a deterrent for criminal activity.

Open carry is ok here in Utah but you can't carry with a bullet in the chamber unless you have a carry permit. I don't see many people open carry though. There are not many gun free zones here.

There are benefits and risks to open carry, just like there are for concealed carry.

OPEN CARRY
    Pros:
    1) Generally more comfortable
    2) Can be a faster draw
    3) Exercising a right
    4) Deterrence factor**
    Cons:
    1) Make yourself a target
    2) Have to be even more aware of your surroundings
    3) Law enforcement interaction (man with a gun call)
    4) Requires a retention holster, preferably Level 2 or better
    5) You lose the tactical advantage

** One person who is open carrying is not nearly as much of a deterrence factor as some of us like to believe. 3-4 people in a group doing it is a tremendous deterrence factor. At my work, those of us that carry have an unofficial "Open Carry Friday", where we all OC during the day, but especially when we go out to lunch.

That being said, I fully support people having the right to OC.
    "Some battles are fought for principle and some battles are fought for dollars. When you fight for principles you fight until hell freezes over and then you fight on the ice." - Spokane Councilman Steve Salvatori

One of my reason why Im for passing the open carry law here in our state of florida is because many conceal carry holders are being harrased and many times being prosecuted by law enforcement for accidental display or even for printing. The NRA-ILA are doing all they can to get some sort of a law protecting conceal carry permit holders to have a more stress and hastle free time exercising their rights without the worry of law enforcement and over zealous liberals jumping on their backs for doing something the state laws and more importantly the US Constitution had already given the people right to have. That is why every gun owners should join the NRA? As long as there are liberals in Washington we should keep the NRA a strong advocate group for our rights sake.
    Beati pacifici