Thread: Calibers

Calibers

Everyone always talks about which caliber is best. I would love to see a video showing the different effects from all calibers. Also hollow pt vs ball.. In a 45 does it really matter?!

I think talking about calibers is almost like talking politics or religion. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions. I have always opined that a well placed shot trumps caliber.

When I trained on the military 1911 .45 caliber, I just couldn't place my shot reliably. I qualified 'expert' on every military weapon I ever fired...EXCEPT the 1911. I "qualified", but not very well. I like to attribute that to the trigger having a 50 pound pull. I now suspect it was anticipation of the big bang and recoil. I shoot smaller calibers now, up to 9mm, and always have nice groups in the kill zone.

There are many videos on youtube that show differing effects.

I'm personally drawn to the 40 S&W, it's just works the best for me...not that I don't like going thru some mags of 9's and 45's

You know, I was talking to a buddy of mine about this yesterday. People always say, "with todays loads, 9 is just as good as 40." I like 40 not for ballistic or penetration reasons, but just because I enjoy shooting it!