Thread: AR-15 under $700? Yep it's possible!

AR-15 under $700? Yep it's possible!

I do not take credit for this thread. It was posted on calguns.net

I am just simply relaying the information in hopes to help others out. Let's face it, everyone is on a budget these days. Some budgets have more wiggle room than others. Here is a thread I read up on building a budget AR-15. It is based on a CA compliant version. Free states will cost less with not having to purchase a bullet button.

Prices are as of 10/1/2012

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=626537

Hey all,

I just finished my first AR build, spent about $1k by the time I was done (and loved every minuet of it).
    However, when I was originally doing my research I had toyed with the idea of a lightweight budget build.
    I see how people go a little crazy over budget AR's and thought this was a pretty good deal so I thought I should share.
    (Note: I have NOT built the AR below, just something I considered, (and am still considering ) as just a fun extra lightweight AR)

I've noticed a lot of people post their build lists, but then only account for sticker prices and none of the associated charges.
    So even though they say $500, it's more like $600 by the time your done.
    Below is the exact cost, to the penny, of a decent budget build.
    Basically, if you've got "exactly" $575.85 in hand, then you've got enough for an AR.
    (Note: This is the cost for someone living in California, which excluded some great deals, so if you're outside of CA you could probably do better.)

Also, I was looking for an AR/Parts that didn't require the purchase of any special tools for assembly (i.e. roll pin punches, stock wrench, barrel wrench, etc.) again to keep the "real" cost of the build down. If you already own these tools you might be able to do better.

Here's what I came up with;

New Frontier Armory Complete Lower
    (Heard good things about them online and directly from a guy who owns one, basically, they're decent overall, but amazing considering the cost)

Currently on sale at Riflegear.com for $99.99
    http://www.riflegear.com/p-1388-new-...mer-lower.aspx

Del-Ton Lightweight Upper Assembly
    (I've heard nothing but good things about Del-Ton, maybe not the best, but for the cost they're a good value)

$399.99 Midway (But can get $30 off with coupon code listed below)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699...rd-flash-hider

AR Stoner 10 Round Mag
    (Mixed reviews on the stoner mags, but it'll do the job, and apparently the NFA lowers prefer metal mags so I listed this instead of a pmag)

$11.99 from Midway
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/388...ss-steel-black

Prince 50 Bullet Button with Tool
    (I have this on my own AR and it's great, best deal, not cheap plastic, plus comes with tool that can screw into the bullet button for storage & to give you finger releasable mags when your out of state)

$18.95 from Midway
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...08-with-wrench

UTG Fixed Rear Sight
    (Looks like there's some things to be desired here, but functional, and this is for a budget build)

$16.92+$4.32 shipping from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

So here's the cost breakdown
    Lower.....$99.99
    Lock.......$ 5.00
    Tax........$ 8.14
    DROS......$25.00

Upper.....$399.99
    Tax........$ 0.00
    Shipping..$ 15.49 (Shipping to OC)
    Coupon...$-30.00 (Coupon code 3121171 expires on 11/01/2012)

Magazine..$11.99
    Tax..........$ 0.00
    Shipping...$ 0.00 (shipping charge is the same with or without mag)

B-Button...$18.95
    Tax..........$ 0.00
    Shipping...$ 0.00 (shipping charge is the same with or without bullet button)

Rear Sight..$16.98
    Tax..........$ 0.00
    Shipping...$ 4.32

Total:.......$575.85 OTD

Not bad for a complete, CA compliant, brand new AR.
    It'd be on par with buying one used for $540 (Since there's a $35 PPT transfer fee)
    Or seeing one with a $506 tag hanging on the wall of your local gun shop

Also, as a frame of reference here are the cost breakdowns on some entry level complete AR's;
    CA Compliant S&W M&P15 Sport from Riflegear.com (comes rear sight, bullet button & 10 rnd mag, but no fwd assist or dust cover)
    Sale Price...$639.00
    Lock..........$ 5.00
    Tax...........$ 49.91
    DROS........$ 25.00
    Shipping.....$ 0.00 (assuming local pickup)
    Total..........$718.91

Del-Ton Sports go on sale at Turners once every other month or so
    Sale Price...$669.99 (I think that's what it was... about $30 off of retail)
    Lock...........$ 5.00
    Tax............$ 52.31
    DROS.........$ 25.00
    Shipping.....$ 0.00 (assuming local pickup)
    Turners Fee.$ 5.00 (have read that they charge this additional $5 on top of everything else for no apparent reason...idk)
    Rear Sight...$ 21.30 (same as above, shipping included here)
    Total..........$778.60

just bought a PSA "full mil spec" AR a few months ago, (non Cali gun) at my local gun shop walked out the door with MOE furniture, 2-30 round PMAG's & a Free box of .223 for $698! Tax included!

it was the buy of a lifetime for me!
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/
    Last edited by wydglide; 10-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.

first AR-15 was a year ago at our local gun show, new in box DPMS 5.56 for $589.00 plus tax.
    sold it a month later for $700 and bought a DPMS RECON in 5.56 with mag-pull stock,grip,flip-up sights,full float barrel for $1000.00, have put about 2000 round through it, great AR

I was going to build my first AR-15, but found a great deal on my Stag 8 Piston. The previous owner only put 200 through it (not even a scratch on the shell deflector). He and his wife were expecting...then found out it was twins and he needed to buy more furniture fast.

I got it for $850 with 6 PMAG's and the Stag full lifetime warranty. He didn't ever fill it out, so I was able to warranty it under my name

AR-15 under $700? Yep it's possible!

I know this is a old post but has any one used this lower and like it or hate it? I was thinking about getting the stripped lower but at 154.99 for a complete I may just get that.

I'm building a few ARs right now, myself. I picked up 4 80% lowers for $25 each, two complete, custom laser engraved lowers for $150 each, a buffer tube/stock assembly for $49, some quality (not DPMS) LPKs for $65 each, full-auto M-16 BCGs for $98 each. I got 10 aluminum GI 30 round mags for $12 each, and 10 more gen3 windowed Pmags for $11 each. I'm waiting on some matched uppers for the ShadowOps lowers so I have a perfect mating between the receivers, then I'll be looking around for barrels, furniture, and a slide-fire stock to build a bump-fire SBR, and a full 18" precision AR. I may not come in under $700 for these, but I know I'll have a high quality rifle when I'm done. I'll probably go with some iron battle sights, and an AimPoint reflex sight on the SBR, and a decent scope on the 18" like a Swarovsky, Trijicon, or Nikon scope. I have a friend who works at a sporting goods chain who can get great deals on some stuff like that for me.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by silverbulletzx3 View Post
    I was going to build my first AR-15, but found a great deal on my Stag 8 Piston. The previous owner only put 200 through it (not even a scratch on the shell deflector). He and his wife were expecting...then found out it was twins and he needed to buy more furniture fast.

I got it for $850 with 6 PMAG's and the Stag full lifetime warranty. He didn't ever fill it out, so I was able to warranty it under my name

Nice. I handled the Stag piston AR at a local gun show. Loved it. I just saw a Ruger SR556 basic piston AR for sale with some goodies included for $1,100. Very tempting.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein