Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Sig Sauer P226

First Sig Sauer P226

Just purchased my first gun, and thought I would go big or go home in a sense by getting a P226 with rail. I got the heavier black nitron stainless model with the night sights and I was surprised it came with the new Ergo grips. After the first range visit I love the gun and I shoot well with it, my only issue was the slide did not lock back every time as it is supposed to when the magazine was empty. I've read this could be the new magazines (Mec-Gar (made in italy) factory 15 round as well as the 18 round mec-gar mags. Another issue with the slide could have been the 115 grain UMC I was shooting instead of a heavier 124 etc.

Anyway as with all hobbies Im always interested in ways of improving so any insight on upgrades both mechanically or cosmetically would be really interesting to me. Thanks!

Could be the mag, mark the mags and see if this happens on all them or on one, try different ammo but I run 115 and have no issues, also Sigs are really tight and love to run wet, make sure you cleaned all the factory gunk off and oil her well, good luck with her I love my MK25

I agree it could be the mags. It has been noted that the checkmate mags have not been performing well. Never an issue with Mecgars. Also did you consider it might be your grip, accidentily hitting the slide release. Just a thought.
    Walther PPQ 9mm German
    HK 45 V7 Light LEM German
    Sig P226 9mm W/German JJ
    Sig P232 380 acp Stainless German
    S&W 586 4" 357 Magnum Factory Nickel

Congrats! I have a P229 40 and love it! You know I have quite a few guns and it is the only one I haven't wanted to change. It has factory night sites and I use it for my bedside gun a lot.

Great choice for your first gun,I have a p229 in .40.Its my EDC and home gun

Quote Originally Posted by CTgunguy View Post
    Great choice for your first gun,I have a p229 in .40.Its my EDC and home gun
    What holster do you carry it in? I have thought about carrying mine a few times, but it seems like it would be hard to conceal.

I currently own a 226 Combat, years ago I owned one other 226. I have not experienced any problems with either one not locking up on an empty mag. I would speculate since this is your first handgun you may be limp wristing it a bit. It could also be the magazine as others suggested. Let an experienced shooter try it and see if it locks up or not that will at least eliminate the limp wrist idea.

On holsters, I use DSGArms Alpha http://dsgarms.com/Category/239_1/Sig_Sauer.aspx. I've tried only a few others but like this the best, holds the gun upright and firm.

I have several other Sigs but the P226 is certainly a must have for any collection or arsenal. Good luck with your weapon.

Range report

Quote Originally Posted by Acmagnum View Post
    I agree it could be the mags. It has been noted that the checkmate mags have not been performing well. Never an issue with Mecgars. Also did you consider it might be your grip, accidentily hitting the slide release. Just a thought.
    Unfortunately Im still having issues with the lock back, Ive tried 6 different mags in it as well as changing the grip as well as having someone else fire the gun. I plan on giving Sig a call tomorrow. Out of the 250 or so rounds I fired in it the other day the slide locked back only once. Very disappointing. It was very accurate, but still disappointing.

One other theory I had was that the version I have has the ergonomic grips, and I have very large hands which makes griping the gun a little harder, and that may lead to more "limp wristing." It seems a firearm of this quality should not have such a common problem. Ive heard Sigs customer service is great, so we will see what they have to say.

Thanks for the input everyone!

all Mags were either factory issued MecGar or the Mecgar 18 rd or 20 rd from Midwayusa

I take it you have tried to manually lock it back with the mag in but unloaded? if it still has a problem it might be the spring in the slide lock, it maybe fitted incorrectly or defective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro3101 View Post
    I take it you have tried to manually lock it back with the mag in but unloaded? if it still has a problem it might be the spring in the slide lock, it maybe fitted incorrectly or defective.
    It does lock back with the mag unloaded, which is a good thing. The Sig representative suggested I shoot hotter ammo, 124 gr,147 gr to loosen the spring because it is new. Annoying, but on the bright side I get to go shoot it more!

Thanks for the help