Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your stance on the 2nd Amendment. Do you think we need some gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwap_Evile View Post
    The obvious problem with gun control laws is that they only affect law abiding citizens not criminals
    Exactly, law abiding citizens will do exactly that...abide by the law. Look at Britain and Australia. Look at Chicago and New York City. Take the guns away, violent crime skyrockets. The only ones left with a gun are the bad guys. There is a reason why mass shootings most commonly happen in "gun free zones". Gun free zones is code word for "shooting fish in a barrel" to a bad guy.

When seconds count, I will have my gun to defend myself over the 20 minute avg response time for law enforcement to come...meanwhile hoping for the best. Like one of my favorite shirts.

Choose one:
    [ ] Victim
    [X] Gun Owner

I feel that the only gun control that needs to be out there is being able to hit what you aim at. We as citizens should be able to own any firearm that we want to. There are already rules against using the guns in an inapropriate mannor, so why do we need anything else? I feel that people today are just rule happy and trying to control everyone else to do the same thing that they do. I thought that this country was founded on the principle that you could live the way that you wanted to live as long as you weren't hurting anyone else in the process. I think that is what we need to get back to. Just do your thing and leave me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared25 View Post
    Before we make any decisions on gun laws I think we need more data. Why don't cops get information on how the criminal got the gun and report it to a FBI data base. Of course some will talk and some won't but I think it is in all gun owners interest to find out how criminals are getting their guns in the first place and have actual data pointing to a specific problem.
    I just asked this question to a fellow co-worker today when watching the news. A convicted felon out of prison shot and killed 2 cops with a handgun of his own. People actually buy these guns for them or I suppose they steal them.

I dont think we need gun control. What for?? I mean common. Guns don't kill people, people seeking to do evil things kill people!!!

Frugal gunsmith said it best, I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by ...Shall Not Be Infringed View Post
    If you are a convicted felon or have been committed to a mental institution, guns should be a no go. Other than that, you should have the right to purchase, own, and carry(Open or concealed, even though the former causes far more problems than it solves, IMHO.) at will.
    "Machine guns"(Full-Auto/Burst Fire) should not be restricted. Nor should suppressors, SBR's or SBS's.
    No ten round magazine limit, no fixed mags, no bullet buttons, no ban on fitties, no waiting period.

FREEDOM! What a fracking concept!
    Explain please?

Quote Originally Posted by SBD View Post
    Explain please?
    Convicted felons cannot possess a firearm in the United States.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Convicted felons cannot possess a firearm in the United States.
    Understood - but he said "guns should be a no go", I was looking for more of an explanation why he thinks that.

Quote Originally Posted by SBD View Post
    Understood - but he said "guns should be a no go", I was looking for more of an explanation why he thinks that.
    Granted I'm not him, but I personally feel that firearms should be banned from felons convicted of crimes of violence specifically. I don't think something like tax evasion should prevent you from the right to own a gun. The propensity for violence however, should. The problem here, yet again, is that legislating this sort of law does not keep guns out of the hands of criminals. All this type of law does, is add another charge to the list when a criminal is caught with a firearm, and subsequently charged, thereby giving the legal system more leverage to barter for a plea agreement by offering to drop "lesser charges" in turn for a settlement.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Granted I'm not him, but I personally feel that firearms should be banned from felons convicted of crimes of violence specifically. I don't think something like tax evasion should prevent you from the right to own a gun. The propensity for violence however, should. The problem here, yet again, is that legislating this sort of law does not keep guns out of the hands of criminals. All this type of law does, is add another charge to the list when a criminal is caught with a firearm, and subsequently charged, thereby giving the legal system more leverage to barter for a plea agreement by offering to drop "lesser charges" in turn for a settlement.
    So why do you feel that firearms should be banned from convicted felons? You said thats what you feel, but the rest of your statement seemed to contradict that (and is pretty much how I feel)

Gun Control from the beginning is typically supported based on the idea the the gun is bad. You can give an otherwise good citizen a gun, and now they have the propensity to commit a criminal act. Keeping guns out of most people's hands is what supporters of gun control believe will make us safer.

Most of us here don't believe the gun is the problem. Its more the programming - a criminal will be a criminal regardless of what objects he has.
    So....with convicted felons - I don't understand how some people think that gun control in that sense is ok. So they are ok to be out of prison - just not ok to own a gun?
    If there is suspicion that they are still violent/deranged/dangerous to society, why are they out of prison?

I agree that there are some convicts out on the streets that shouldn't have a gun - however I also don't believe those convicts should be out on the streets. So....its kinda coming full circle, because there are a few convicts that might be the problem, lets blanket the entire situation be not allowing them to own guns. The same can be said for society. I'm sure there are a number of violent/mentally incapable individuals that are not labeled such in the NCIS - does that mean we don't let ANYONE have a gun because those people might get them?

Bottom line I suppose, is if a convict can't be trusted with a gun, I sure as hell don't trust them either way.