Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your stance on the 2nd Amendment. Do you think we need some gun control?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is your stance on the 2nd Amendment. Do you think we need some gun control?

I have always had mixed feelings on gun control. I am a gun owner and user, but at the same time its hard in todays world to be public about your stance on guns. How do some of you guys explain your views when asked by others?

If I feel the need to protect myself I must feel that way for some reason. Maybe I turned on the tv or read the paper or something else that informed me of yet ANOTHER shooting that could/ may have been prevented if someone had a concealed carry weapon on them. I think all 50 states should be shall issue states based on the fact that all gun control laws are based on the ability of the government(or your local entity) to perform a proper background check/mental health evaluation. Basically if you have shown in the past or currently show signs of any reason why you should not own a gun, then you shouldn't get one. But don't make it hard on every law abiding citizen that just wants to protect themselves and family. Who else will? Law enforcement? Not that I scoff at Leo's but lets be honest. If you're reading this you already know that realistically, Leo's will only be able to conduct an investigation on what happened, not prevent it if they're called. Seconds for me to draw my xdm40 and take care of business vs. a few to several minutes it takes for Leo's to arrive. Not their fault it takes five minutes to get five minutes from where they are to you. They can't be everywhere and they don't have ESP so until they arrive my best chance is my weapon of choice, xdm40, not my iphone4.

There's a reason this country has never been invaded successfully by a foreign power. We're armed, and we are willing to fight to keep it that way.
    I prefer to be able to protect myself, and my family in any way necessary from harm. Part of that is being well educated in the use of firearms.
    People who are off their rockers are going to bring hard to others in any way they can. Having a gun doesn't make a difference for them, but it does for their victims.
    Take guns from law abiding citizens, and only the criminals will have them.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Before we make any decisions on gun laws I think we need more data. Why don't cops get information on how the criminal got the gun and report it to a FBI data base. Of course some will talk and some won't but I think it is in all gun owners interest to find out how criminals are getting their guns in the first place and have actual data pointing to a specific problem.

I think that the 2nd amendment,is all the gun control,law abiding citizens whom are not mentally challenged need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared25 View Post
    Before we make any decisions on gun laws I think we need more data. Why don't cops get information on how the criminal got the gun and report it to a FBI data base. Of course some will talk and some won't but I think it is in all gun owners interest to find out how criminals are getting their guns in the first place and have actual data pointing to a specific problem.
    I just asked this question to a fellow co-worker today when watching the news. A convicted felon out of prison shot and killed 2 cops with a handgun of his own. People actually buy these guns for them or I suppose they steal them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I have always had mixed feelings on gun control. I am a gun owner and user, but at the same time its hard in todays world to be public about your stance on guns. How do some of you guys explain your views when asked by others?
    My stance on the 2nd Amendment is that the founding fathers should never have put a qualifier(A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, ) in the amendment. The 1st amendment didn't need one. We could have saved ourselves from a lot of worthless gun laws over the years had they not felt the need to justify the right to bear arms.

No I don't think that we need any gun control at all. Last time that I checked, it has always been illegal to commit murder in these various United States, yet murderers still do it. What has any gun law done to change this fact. You are either going to follow the law and not commit murder or you are not. Once you decide to break that law, any further restrictions on your behavior are merely academic. Stricter enforcement and punishment of the guilty is all that is needed here not more worthless gun laws that only punish those that are not inclined to break laws in the first place.

As for your last question, I explain my views when asked as calmly and rationally as I can. At the same time I realize that I am sometimes up against the irrational fear based position, that I will never be able to convince rationally. Life is too short to suffer fools, and so I part ways with them at the first opportunity. But for those on the fence, my best explanation to them is to take them out shooting and fight their ignorance with education. More often than not this approach works best.

If you are a convicted felon or have been committed to a mental institution, guns should be a no go. Other than that, you should have the right to purchase, own, and carry(Open or concealed, even though the former causes far more problems than it solves, IMHO.) at will.
    "Machine guns"(Full-Auto/Burst Fire) should not be restricted. Nor should suppressors, SBR's or SBS's.
    No ten round magazine limit, no fixed mags, no bullet buttons, no ban on fitties, no waiting period.

FREEDOM! What a fracking concept!

Quote Originally Posted by ...Shall Not Be Infringed View Post
    If you are a convicted felon or have been committed to a mental institution, guns should be a no go. Other than that, you should have the right to purchase, own, and carry(Open or concealed, even though the former causes far more problems than it solves, IMHO.) at will.
    "Machine guns"(Full-Auto/Burst Fire) should not be restricted. Nor should suppressors, SBR's or SBS's.
    No ten round magazine limit, no fixed mags, no bullet buttons, no ban on fitties, no waiting period.

FREEDOM! What a fracking concept!
    Having grown up around hospitals all of my life (diabetic since age 3) and having family who work in the medical profession, I have to question "any instance of mental institution admission" as a grounds for denial. There are plenty of reasons people are commited short term and long, to the care of a psychiatrist that would in no way make them a danger to themselves or others if they possess a firearm. This is something that should, perhaps, require a release or OK from a physician, but unlike a felony conviction, should not be an instant bar from teh right to own a firearm.

and no, I don't have such history, but just the idea of such laws would prevented a person such as myself from even considering seeking any form of help from things like short term depression when dealing with things like organ failure and long term hospitalizations or various disabilities, whre therapy could be very advantageous. This sort of law could also automatically prohibit any soldier returning from active duty in a hostile environment from seeking any therapy to cope with his experiences, for fear of denial of basic rights as a result of his medical record.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Having grown up around hospitals all of my life (diabetic since age 3) and having family who work in the medical profession, I have to question "any instance of mental institution admission" as a grounds for denial. There are plenty of reasons people are commited short term and long, to the care of a psychiatrist that would in no way make them a danger to themselves or others if they possess a firearm. This is something that should, perhaps, require a release or OK from a physician, but unlike a felony conviction, should not be an instant bar from teh right to own a firearm.

and no, I don't have such history, but just the idea of such laws would prevented a person such as myself from even considering seeking any form of help from things like short term depression when dealing with things like organ failure and long term hospitalizations or various disabilities, whre therapy could be very advantageous. This sort of law could also automatically prohibit any soldier returning from active duty in a hostile environment from seeking any therapy to cope with his experiences, for fear of denial of basic rights as a result of his medical record.
    Of course, the details would have to be worked out. By my saying "committed to a mental institution" I basically meant "crazies". I wasn't implying that it should be an instant barring. A release form system or something should be put in place, but even that is heading down a slippery slope as far as an individual deciding what rights apply to you. Basically if you have an incurable mental illness such as schizophrenia etc. etc.