Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm weather concealed carry question

Warm weather concealed carry question

Have become, at 69 yrs. old a fairly recent handgun cc owner. Although I love my Walther PPS 9mm and (conceal) carry it daily, I am looking ahead at the warmer weather months when clothing such as t-shirts/shorts are a challenge to hide a weapon, unlike sweaters and jackets/coats that very easily conceal a weapon. Obvious thoughts go to lighter/smaller. In a monumental search for the right handgun, the controversy of a 9mm versus a .380 rears its ugly head.

"A .380 does not have the stopping power, blah, blah, blah...................." Generally speaking, I'd bet the farm that three or four well-placed .22shorts will stop somebody, so I do not buy that argument. So, with that in mind, can any of you who also do not live by that opinion care to tell me your thoughts as to what compact/sub-compact gun you either own, or would own for warmer weather carry, any caliber?

Thank you for your response(s).

Welcome fauxpa46, I myself have also decided to carry [U]all the time[U] and agree with you that although caliber may matter it is all about shot placement. To carry all the time I have a S&W Bodyguard 380 and a more casual attire, wearing shorts and a tee, I also carry a Ruger LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis in my oversized front pocket and have found it quite comfortable.Again, welcome and carry on.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Quote Originally Posted by MP Gunther View Post
    Welcome fauxpa46, I myself have also decided to carry [U]all the time[U] and agree with you that although caliber may matter it is all about shot placement. To carry all the time I have a S&W Bodyguard 380 and a more casual attire, wearing shorts and a tee, I also carry a Ruger LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis in my oversized front pocket and have found it quite comfortable.Again, welcome and carry on.
    Appreciate the reply; thank you. Am curious to know your experience with the LCR. Ruger obviously has a pretty good reputation, and the LCR is certainly small/light, however the overwhelming response to it is that it is challenging to shoot (well) and has a particularly unfriendly trigger pull. The new Custom version, however gets higher marks, mostly due to a "better trigger", whatever that means.

Would like to hear your personal take on it. Thanks.

I've got the 357 version and for me I think the trigger is actually pretty good, smooth and consistent. They do need some range time to shoot well being so light and small but for 5 yards out they do the job. I understand even the 9mm can have quite a kick. I can certainly shoot my SP101 better though. I'll have to look up the "Custom Version"
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I believe I'm thinking of the LCP Custom (.380), not the LCR; sorry for that error. I'll bet that LCR in .357 does, indeed bark!

:-) The LCP trigger job I think is mainly on the reset and the take-up on pulling the trigger. I think Hickock45 did a before and after video and he was impressed with the difference
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Following up - Ordered, received, and shot today. Love it. I was nicely surprised at how docile it is to shoot, and accurate, too. It is exactly what I wanted for size and weight. I hardly know I'm carrying it. Shot my PPS right afterward and it felt like a cannon in my hands!!

Would highly recommend the LCP Custom for a lighter carry, or backup handgun.

Yea it's been a proven pocket pistol, have fun with it
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I could sure use some advice on an option for summer carry here in the valley gets damn hot got a 4" xd 40 i live out of my truck and was using a shoulder rig this winter which worked for me,but i wanna be consistent in the way i carry,given my living conditions i could use some advice

Pretty interesting posting