Thread: Larger Caliber or More Rounds?

Larger Caliber or More Rounds?

I have completed the CCW class and I'm looking at my first handgun purchase. I'm leaning towards the Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II as my friends at work who are ex-Army have .45's. They said that a 9mm wouldn't be sufficient for the character that you hear about time and again who goes out to do harm and is prepared with a vest of some kind.

The .45's only hold about 8 shots where as a Glock 19 has 15 rounds in the mag. I wouldn't want to in a situation where I wished I had more shots than what a 1911 would provide; although if I was accurate with a few of the shots from the 1911, it wouldn't matter.

Assuming you're not always carrying extra mags, which would you rather have; more available rounds with something like a Glock 19 or a larger caliber like a 1911?

Thanks
    Last edited by dkolbus; 11-01-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkolbus View Post
    I have completed the CCW class and I'm looking at my first handgun purchase. I'm leaning towards the Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II as my friends at work who are ex-Army have .45's. They said that a 9mm wouldn't be sufficient for the character that you hear about time and again who goes out to do harm and is prepared with a vest of some kind.

The .45's only hold about 8 shots where as a Glock 19 has 15 rounds in the mag. I wouldn't want to in a situation where I wished I had more shots than what a 1911 would provide; although if I was accurate with a few of the shots from the 1911, it wouldn't matter.

Assuming you're not always carrying extra mags, which would you rather have; more available rounds with something like a Glock 19 or a larger caliber like a 1911?

Thanks
    Bro, "what they said" don't mean a hill of beans. What do you want to shoot and what will you shoot better? Bad guys don't wear body armor and if they do you best have a 308 or better size rifle. 45's cost more, the ammo cost more, they don't shoot as easy as a 9mm. 9mm is a NATO round so it is and always will be plentiful throughout the world. 1911's almost never make it through any good 4 day defensive hand gun class. So what makes you think it will hold up in any confrontation. They are beautiful, pieces of art with really nice triggers that I would NOT bet my life on if the SHTF. I am a die hard Sig guy. Remember "to Hell and back reliability" is their slogan with 100 years of history to back them up.... Just my 2 cents bro. I hope you find not only what you want but what you need. Happy hunting and after you buy your gun please post a pic and let us know how well it shoots and how much you like it (whatever it is you get). Peace, Gunnr
    Last edited by Gunnr; 11-02-2015 at 01:18 AM.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

What Gunnr said, pick-up something you shoot well and feel comfortable carrying or your end up leaving it at home, don't worry about the caliber. It's about shot placement!
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Military, as well as the larger percentage of law enforcement carry 9mm today. If using your line of thinking, I would say two 9mm hits to center mass more than equal one .45! If you are going to carry with any seriousness, no .45 is going to be as comfortable as a plethora of 9mm on the market today as to weight/size. Plus, if it's your only gun for awhile, you will enjoy shooting a 9mm much more than a .45, IMO.

Agreed, also with the strides hollow point ammunition has made over time a 9mm is a very lethal option for self defense.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Ya know, I don't really get why even eight shots are required. I love revolvers, and six shots has always been enough for me. But that being said compromise is almost always the best solution. So, I'd say the eight powerful shots afforded to you by the 1911. But some handguns - like the Springfield XDm - carry thirteen rounds of .45 ACP. That is definitely enough, even if you're shooting upside-down and without sights.

Statistically speaking, 6 shots should be sufficient for most altercations. I've been carrying revolvers in the winter for a while now and Ruger LCR and SP101 have been serving me well
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Welcome to a fun process. Don’t get in any hurry. Look at all the options and find out what works best for you. Above all, find a worthy mentor and earn the right to their mindshare on defensive pistol techniques. I’ve been shooting handguns since 1990 and there are others here far more capable than me. My first serious, armory grade handgun was the first release of the Glock 22 .40 Caliber. I’ve stayed with this make and caliber ever since and carry a 14 shot Glock 23 today. Recently, I purchased an HK P30S in .40. Once I’ve had enough time to get fully acquainted with it, I will carry it also. Through the years I’ve learned that mid and full sized pistols work better for me. The larger size is easier for me to control and the mass of the mid/full handguns abates recoil better. I live in the woods——on a mountain range that surrounds a 40K acre lake but travel for work so I want a caliber that performs well in a self defense application or while hunting. The 180 grain .40 JHP round does this very well. I must warn you the .40 has lost favor with the up and coming influences in the industry. For some it has a snappy recoil and may be hard on pistols due to the higher pressures. That said, I’ve shot it for 28 years and never had an issue with damage to my pistols. You need to get some range time in and discover what fits you best. Enjoy the journey. Be safe.
    Last edited by Will Beararms; 03-20-2018 at 11:18 PM.

an interesting question.