Thread: How do you get rid of ammo you cant use

How do you get rid of ammo you cant use

I was at a gun show last weekend and picked up a few boxes of .38spec after takeing them to the range yesterday I find out they are no good. The ammo fits in the cylender and will fire the first round but wont fully cycle to the next round. The RO's thought it was the gun at first but when we try'd their ammo the gun worked fine. According to the RO's the ammo from the gun show is ''slightly larger'' than a standard .38rd. The ammo is of no use to me and I'd rather not throw it in the trash just incase they go off when the garbage man picks them up. Any thoughts on how to get rid of the ammo?

Hi Blind, What kind of firearm were you shooting the 38's in? Can they be used in a wheel gun?
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

The gun was a s&w model 66. The ro's said I can try fileing them down to size but with the laws here in NY I'd rather not take the chance in haveing a round go off in my house and have the cops called.

Hey Blind, how goes it bro? I had a bunch of 12ga shotgun shells of various types that was no use to me (I shoot a 20ga.) and I took it all to my local PD and donated it to them for use as practice ammo during their training.It was no good to me and made me some friends of LEO's here in Nevada. If it's not shootable they can dispose of it for you.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Hey Gunnr hope all is well! Takeing it to the PD isn't a bad idea i'm sure they'd be happy to get some extra ammo. My only worry is since I'm in New Yorkistan they'd use it in their own guns when they came to serve the warrent lol

Quote Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
    The gun was a s&w model 66. The ro's said I can try fileing them down to size but with the laws here in NY I'd rather not take the chance in haveing a round go off in my house and have the cops called.
    Don't forget about possibly injuring yourself! For someone saying to "file down the bullet" is definitely a new one on me. I take it the bullet wasn't seated properly?
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bare arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves from tyranny in government.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Banned
    You probably have .38 S&W, which shoots a .359-inch bullet.