Thread: .38 special +p snub for Florida woods

.38 special +p snub for Florida woods

I venture into the treacherous Florida swamps and there are some huge hogs, gators, panthers, maybe the occasional black bear, would you trust a hard cast doubletap/buffalo bore semi wadcutter out of a snubnose to take a 500lb+ hog?

No way bro. Wadcutters are target ammo. Anything smaller then a 44 mag. in the wild and you are asking for trouble. I agree with Mr. Hillbilly on this one. OH by the way it would be best to have at least a 4in barrel on your gun not only for accuracy but it gives you more velocity. Hit em hard...
    Last edited by Gunnr; 02-10-2015 at 04:49 AM.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnr View Post
    No way bro. Wadcutters are target ammo. Anything smaller then a 44 mag. in the wild and you are asking for trouble. I agree with Mr. Hillbilly on this one. OH by the way it would be best to have at least a 4in barrel on your gun not only for accuracy but it gives you more velocity. Hit em hard...
    well I tried carrying a ruger gp100 4.2 inch but that thing was way too big since i'm in the mangroves climbing trees and stuff, not to mention if I have to pop a shot off I dont want to go deaf since I wont have hearing protection. It isn't target ammo its "hard cast" for penetration, it goes 22+ inches into gel around 300 ft lbs of energy.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...listics101.com

Quote Originally Posted by aux638 View Post
    well I tried carrying a ruger gp100 4.2 inch but that thing was way too big since i'm in the mangroves climbing trees and stuff, not to mention if I have to pop a shot off I dont want to go deaf since I wont have hearing protection. It isn't target ammo its "hard cast" for penetration, it goes 22+ inches into gel around 300 ft lbs of energy.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...listics101.com
    Well the ammo might hit gel hard but I wouldn't trust my life to any 38 in the wild. I'd hate to hear about something bad happening to you. With a slightly larger gun your holster is EVERYTHING. Go to Toms Armory Express page and look through his holsters. He can get you just what you need to carry safely with quick aquisition of your gun while packing it with comfort and safely. Please don't take on any large animal with a snubbie. Adreneline does bad stuff to any shot out of any gun and a 1/8in wobble with that short of a barrel could cause a 10 in miss at very close range. Do what you think is right and as always good luck, stay safe.
    IDPA member
    NRA member
    US Army veteran 72-75
    CWP holder
    USCCA member
    Front Sight Director

There is only good and bad, innocent and evil. I am a predator of evil men and I don't assist sheep. I kill wolves -J. Yeager

Banned
    Only with hard-to-hit head shots.