PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for a Shotgun

PIT Archer
10-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Now that I have a .22 rifle, I am looking into getting a 12ga shotgun. I would like to get this one for protective purposes, although I know a shotgun can be allot of fun. What would be a fair price for a shotgun? Since I'm a college kid I gotta worry about price. If it helps, I'd like a pump but would get a semi-auto if it was cheaper. Any advice?

Gunnr
10-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Hey bro, First off a pump will always be less expensive and usually function (for defensive purposes) better then a semi auto. You have a choice of two really good shottys for what you want. I believe the best is (I own one so Im biased) a Mossberg 500. That other would be a Remington 870. They are both good. It's just personal preference to many people as to which one they choose. Mine is a 20ga. which I prefer and I got it used in real good condition for 150.00 I'd pay up to maybe 300.00 for what you are looking for. It just takes some shopping around to find the right price. Peace brother... Happy hunting:cool:

norahc
10-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Gunnr offers good advice which I would like to expand on. The Mossberg is better if you are left handed since the safety is tang mounted and the slide release is located behind the trigger guard. The Remington can have a larger capacity if you add a mag tube, but all controls are in the trigger area and pretty much designed for righties.

Or you can go the Shotgun Joe Biden route and get a cheap double barrel for less than 150.00.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Robomick
10-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Check out the Mossberg 88 Maverick also. You can pick them up cheap and there are a lot of "dress up kits" out there to make it look bad ass. Fun pump action shotgun.

norahc
10-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Another thing I would like to add that if it is going to be used strictly for home defense, check out the Youth models. Shorter barrels and shorter length of pull make them slightly more maneuverable inside.

Gunnr
10-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Another thing I would like to add that if it is going to be used strictly for home defense, check out the Youth models. Shorter barrels and shorter length of pull make them slightly more maneuverable inside. +1 bro. Mine is a 500 C model with a 22 in. bbl.Handles well and you get a nice hold and purchase of the weapon with the slightly smaller stock. To expand on Robomicks advice the Maverick 88 is a nice basic set up with the reciever, trigger assy. and other working parts of the Mossberg 500 set up to be slightly less expensive and as he said comes ready for any tactical equipment you might want to add. It is a good choice for a low cost shotty if it's not abused. Peace guys...:cool:

PIT Archer
10-25-2013, 05:16 PM
I was hoping to get a mossberg 500. Through my studies (youtube) I like the options and features the mossberg offers.

Robomick
10-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I like mine and never have any issues.

C-C
03-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I prefer the 870 because it has more steel components in the construction. I think $300 is a fair price for that kind of firearm.

djono1
03-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Mossberg 500 fan here. I have owned one for a couple years and have no complaints. Paid around $350 for it but you can probably get one for just under $300 if you shop around. Remington 870 is also an excellent choice. You won't go wrong with either. As for semi-auto, they're nice but will be way more expensive than a pump. If you're really strapped for cash, go to your local gun shops and let them know what you're after, see if they have any used shotguns that are priced decently.