PDA

View Full Version : subcompacts, are they junk???

leathernck0331
10-16-2013, 10:39 PM
hey there tom, nice video on youtube about the ultra carry, I am a former infantry marine, I own a kimber eclipse pro target II, I love the gun, but every now and then the weapon doesn't go all the way forward when firing it, while it isn't a big deal I just slide my thumb up and push it forward, perhaps a stiffer main spring would help? but my real question is this, I am thinking very seriously on purchasing the crimson ultra carry II, the thing is, I ran across one of rob pinkus, I think that's right, he used to cohost a show called the best defense on the outdoor channel, I respect what he has to say,,lol and he isn't too impressed with any sub-compact,,,so now I am researching this further hoping to find out if they are as bad as he lets on, he even made a statement, if I get this right, that if anyone came to his school and had their subcompact perform the way it should, he would refund the cost of the tuition and the cost of the rds shot at the school, do you feel the kimber could do it? the video I watched was on youtube, and the weapon he seemed to be talking about was an ultra carry,,,, would really like more info on this, anybody else out there have a viewpoint?

Gunnr
10-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Hey bro, Ive seen the Rob Pincus video and Yes he said that he believes all 1911 sub compacts are unsafe as self defense (EDC) guns. As he explains the 1911 is designed in a way that it really takes the movement of a 5" slide to make the 1911 function as right. He doesnt even like the commander models with the 4" barrel. I took a hand gun course and was partnered up with a guy that had a Kimber pro II and it jammed at least 8 or 9 times in 4 days. We went through 600 rounds for the class and he got way more practice on malfunction drills then a lot of us. That said, 2 of our instructors did carry full size 1911's on their hip. I was interested in getting a Springfield EMP at one time but now I'm not so sure. I've been looking at the Sig P227 SAS 2nd gen. as a good carry gun in .45. peace bro and welcome to the forum. Hope all is good for you here.:cool:

GlassWolf
10-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Rob Pincus, Steve Reichert, James yeager and others have pointed out that the 1911 with a sub-5" barrel is unreliable, and I agree. I also agree that a lot of 5" 1911s are unreliable as well. That being said, not all sub-compact handguns are junk. I carry a Beretta nano that is an outstanding micro-compact 9mm, for example. The H&K P2000SK is an outstanding sub-compact, too.

If your slide is not returning to battery, then your guide rod spring is fatigued and needs to be replaced. This tends to happen after a while with any gun, and this is a serviceable part that requires regular replacement.

Gunnr
10-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Rob Pincus, Steve Reichert, James yeager and others have pointed out that the 1911 with a sub-5" barrel is unreliable, and I agree. I also agree that a lot of 5" 1911s are unreliable as well. That being said, not all sub-compact handguns are junk. I carry a Beretta nano that is an outstanding micro-compact 9mm, for example. The H&K P2000SK is an outstanding sub-compact, too.

If your slide is not returning to battery, then your guide rod spring is fatigued and needs to be replaced. This tends to happen after a while with any gun, and this is a serviceable part that requires regular replacement.Glasswolf, Hey brother how you doing? I made sure to mention only the 1911 as a less then stellar gun. I have a Sig P250sc as my EDC myself and the selection of very good sub compacts out there is innumerrible. We all should know 1911's are what they are... no more, no less. Maker doesn't matter. Nuff said. Peace bro...:cool:

GlassWolf
10-17-2013, 10:40 PM
You can make a 1911 fairly reliable with a decent gun smith, but out of the box, I'm not sure I'd put my life in the hands of one as an EDC. Besides, I just prefer a larger magazine capacity, and no external safties on my guns. Anyway, yeah if this is your primary EDC gun, I'd probably give some thought to going with something that's not a sub-compact 1911.
Others may disagree.