PDA

View Full Version : New Firearm Onwer

PIT Archer
10-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Some of you have read and commented on my post about buying a gun, well I did it. I went to a gun show and got a Remington model 597 for &150. Now can someone tell me if I should store it with the magazine in (unloaded) and the bolt held back?

norahc
10-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm not a fan of leaving bolts/actions open for the simple reason that it is too easy for debris to drop in there.

GlassWolf
10-06-2013, 10:49 PM
I typically store that style of rifle just the opposite. I store it with the mag out, and the bolt closed. If the gun is removed from it's case, I open the bolt to clear the weapon, and check the mag prior to loading or inserting it. As far as mag in or out, I don;t really see that it makes a big difference, but it's one less possible mistake for you to make if you keep it out of the gun. Left in, people often assume a gun is unloaded because it's been stored, and without clearing the gun, this is a common source of N.D.s

Robomick
10-07-2013, 06:07 AM
I typically store that style of rifle just the opposite. I store it with the mag out, and the bolt closed. If the gun is removed from it's case, I open the bolt to clear the weapon, and check the mag prior to loading or inserting it. As far as mag in or out, I don;t really see that it makes a big difference, but it's one less possible mistake for you to make if you keep it out of the gun. Left in, people often assume a gun is unloaded because it's been stored, and without clearing the gun, this is a common source of N.D.s

This is generally my thoughts also. Nice post.